When is the first equation used to calculate pressure change in a system?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FollowTheFez
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pressure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
FollowTheFez
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I am going through old exam questions about pressure and fluid dynamics.
For one particular question I had to calculate the change in pressure in a system. These two equations were given on the formula sheet:

ΔP=[itex]\frac{4\gamma}{R}[/itex]

and

ΔP=[itex]\frac{2\gamma}{R}[/itex]


I've never seen the equation with the '4' in it. I've only every used the second equation to calculate pressure change (and always got answers correct). I can't find the first equation anywhere in my textbook or study guide.
I was wondering if someone could briefly explain when you would use that equation?

I am assuming that it's got something to do with where the pressure difference is only half (e.g. half a bubble sitting on top of water)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation applies to a thin film bubble, like a soap bubble. The second equation applies to a bubble of gas within a body of surrounding liquid.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person