Why is the I so crucial in human development?

• Thread starter coberst
  • Start date
In summary: The pronoun 'I' represents the birth of values and self-consciousness in humans, as it is the symbolic rallying point for the ego. This discovery occurs after the recognition of the self as a 'me', and it is believed to be a universal order of discovery. This self-awareness allows for self-control, but it also creates a split within the individual. The capitalization of 'I' and not 'me' reflects the importance and centrality of the self in human consciousness. This concept has been explored by various thinkers, including Kant and Becker, and is seen as a vital aspect of human evolution.
coberst
When me becomes I

A child’s symbolic action world is built from the outside in. We are sad because we cry; we do not cry because we are sad. Only when we ‘look’ at our self do we know what is going on.

A vital fact about all objects is that there is both an inside and an outside. We are born recognizing our self as a ‘me’. The ‘me’ is an object before ‘me’ becomes ‘I’, i.e. an executive subject. Only after this happens in an infant’s life can s/he “back away” from her or him self.

The child discovers first that s/he is a social product. Perhaps this will show us why we are so often mere puppets jerked around by alien symbols and sounds. Perhaps this is why we are so often just blind ideologues (blindly partisan).

In order to separate the ego from the world it seems that the ego must have a rallying point. It must have a flag about which to rally. That flag is the “I”. The pronoun ‘I’ is the symbolic rallying point for the human’s ego; it is the precise designation of self-hood. It is concluded by those who study such matters that the ‘I’ “must take shape linguistically”. The self or ego “is largely a verbal edifice”.

“The “I” signals nothing less than the beginning of the birth of values into a world of powerful caprice…The personal pronoun is the rallying point for self-consciousness.” The wedding of the nervous ability to delay response, with the pronoun “I”, unleashed a new type of animal; the human species began. The ‘I’ represents the birth of values.

Upon the discovery of the “I” the infant human becomes a precise form, which is the focus of self-control. The creatures previous to the arrival of humans in the chain of evolution had an instinctive center within itself. When our species discovered the “I” and its associated self-control centers a dual reality occurred. “The animal not only loses its instinctive center within itself; it also becomes somewhat split against itself.”

Becker, the winner of the Pulitzer for “The Birth and Death of Meaning”, notes that Kant was perhaps the first to impress upon us the importance of the fact that the infant becomes conscious first of itself as a “me” and then only as “I”. This order of discover has been shown to be universal.

I have noticed when an infant becomes an I, when all of a sudden they behave in a self-conscious manner. Have you noticed such a change taking place in a child?

Why is ‘I’ capitalized and ‘me’ is not?

Quotes from “The Birth and Death of Meaning”—Ernest Becker

Physics news on Phys.org
Early living creatures with a brain were probably able to simulate certain events and make models of their environment to varying degree of accuracy. When the individual itself becomes a part of that model, it could be argued that the notion of 'I' first appears.

Moridin

You might be correct. Becoming part of the model is becoming self-conscious.

coberst said:
...When me becomes I...
imo, "me" never becomes "I". The action of prayer is the I trying to contact the me. The I must accept that there is something greater than itself, which is the me, but the I refuses to acknowledge the me as having any control, thus the I creates the gods as the salvation of the I from the true power and control of the me. Only the me has free will, but the I falsely takes credit for having free will. In summary, the "me" is not a becoming of the "I"...I hold that "the me" + "the I" = "the you", a dialectic entanglement of the unconscious and conscious.

1. What is the concept of "When me becomes I"?

The concept of "When me becomes I" refers to the moment when an individual transitions from thinking and acting solely in terms of their own wants and needs, to considering the impact of their actions on a larger scale. It is a shift from a self-centered perspective to a more empathetic and interconnected one.

2. How does "When me becomes I" relate to psychology?

Psychology plays a significant role in understanding and studying the concept of "When me becomes I". It involves examining the development of self-awareness, empathy, and moral reasoning in individuals, as well as exploring the factors that influence this transition.

3. Can "When me becomes I" be applied to social dynamics?

Yes, "When me becomes I" has significant implications for social dynamics and relationships. It involves considering the needs and perspectives of others, which can lead to improved communication, conflict resolution, and overall healthier relationships.

4. What are some practical ways to encourage "When me becomes I" thinking?

Some practical ways to encourage "When me becomes I" thinking include promoting empathy and perspective-taking, fostering a sense of interconnectedness and community, and providing opportunities for individuals to engage in meaningful and purposeful actions that benefit others.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to "When me becomes I" thinking?

While "When me becomes I" thinking can have many positive outcomes, there are also potential drawbacks. It may lead to neglecting one's own needs and well-being, difficulty setting boundaries, and a sense of guilt or responsibility for others' actions and emotions. It is important to strike a balance between considering others and taking care of oneself.