When someone says I'm a Math Major , does that mean she is a student or

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 16K views
kaleidoscope
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
When someone says "I'm a Math Major", does that mean she is a student or...

When someone says "I'm a Math Major" does that mean she is a student or does it mean that she has already graduated? Is there a way to tell or is this an ambiguous term?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


..."I was a math major" would indicate she has completed her math major, "I am a math major" would indicate she is currently a student.

Good luck.
 


Yes, he seriously created this thread! The question is whether or not he created this thread seriously.

Seriously or not, a "math major" is a student majoring in mathematics. A person who has already graduated would say "I majored in mathematics" or "I was a math major".

Of course, the person who says "I was a math major" might have changed majors since or might never have graduated.
 


OK, thanks. So, what would be a better way to introduce yourself casually in this case if you have already graduated?
 


kaleidoscope said:
OK, thanks. So, what would be a better way to introduce yourself casually in this case if you have already graduated?
Perhaps it is best not to let people know you majored in mathematics!

(Just joking- but I couldn't resist.)
 


kaleidoscope said:
OK, thanks. So, what would be a better way to introduce yourself casually in this case if you have already graduated?

"My name is kaleidoscope and I am a mathematician".

Oh, sorry, you meant how do you introduce yourself OUTSIDE of Mathematicians Anonymous meetings :rolleyes: