• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

When someone says I'm a Math Major , does that mean she is a student or

• Programs
  • Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

When someone says "I'm a Math Major", does that mean she is a student or...

When someone says "I'm a Math Major" does that mean she is a student or does it mean that she has already graduated? Is there a way to tell or is this an ambiguous term?

Answers and Replies

Did you seriously create this thread?

..."I was a math major" would indicate she has completed her math major, "I am a math major" would indicate she is currently a student.

Good luck.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Yes, he seriously created this thread! The question is whether or not he created this thread seriously.

Seriously or not, a "math major" is a student majoring in mathematics. A person who has already graduated would say "I majored in mathematics" or "I was a math major".

Of course, the person who says "I was a math major" might have changed majors since or might never have graduated.

OK, thanks. So, what would be a better way to introduce yourself casually in this case if you have already graduated?

You have a degree in math!

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

OK, thanks. So, what would be a better way to introduce yourself casually in this case if you have already graduated?
Perhaps it is best not to let people know you majored in mathematics!

(Just joking- but I couldn't resist.)

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

"My name is kaleidoscope and I am a mathematician".

Oh, sorry, you meant how do you introduce yourself OUTSIDE of Mathematicians Anonymous meetings :rolleyes: