When the revolution of the earth on its axis accelerates

In summary, the radio announcer's idea that time would be much slower if the Earth rotated faster is incorrect. While there would be a small difference in the rate of a clock on the equator compared to a reference clock in space due to the theory of relativity, it would not be significant enough to say that time would be "much slower".
ffrancis
Hi!

More than a decade ago, I used to listen to a so-called walking encyclopedia over the radio. One of the radio listeners verified the information that he had read somewhere:

That if the Earth revolved on its axis at a much faster rate, then time would become faster.

However, this radio announcer used his common sense and he contradicted that idea. He said that if such were the case, then time would be much slower. I believe he said that because he was holding on to the idea that time is constant.

Is my question related to the theory of relativity? Do you agree with this so-called genius radio announcer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ffrancis said:
Hi!

More than a decade ago, I used to listen to a so-called walking encyclopedia over the radio. One of the radio listeners verified the information that he had read somewhere:

That if the Earth revolved on its axis at a much faster rate, then time would become faster.
?

Hi and happy New year ;)
Before clocks were invented a year would be measured in days. If the Earth suddenly starting rotating twice as fast as normal, then a year would consist of 730 days instead of 365. By this crude definition of time then you could argue time has has speeded up. However this is a flawed argument and is like saying a journey takes half the time at 60 mph than it would take at 30 mph because time speeds up. All that has really changed is the speed of the vehicle or the rotation rate of the earth. The modern definition of the second is "the time it takes for the magnetic field of a cesium atom to flip polarity 9,192,631,770 times, as measured by an atomic clock". By that definition the number of seconds in a year would be the same, even if the Earth rotated twice as fast. The length of a day is simply the pattern of light and shadow cast by the sun. At the North pole, night can last 6 months followed by a day lasting 6 months. Despite only having 2 days a year at the North pole a second at the North pole is pretty much the same as a second on the equator. (But see below)

ffrancis said:
However, this radio announcer used his common sense and he contradicted that idea. He said that if such were the case, then time would be much slower. I believe he said that because he was holding on to the idea that time is constant.

Is my question related to the theory of relativity? Do you agree with this so-called genius radio announcer?

However,there would be minuscule (in the order of nanoseconds) but measurable difference in in the rate of a clock on the equator of the speeded up Earth relative to a reference clock in space, due to relativistic effects. The radio announcer is partly right that time would be (relatively) slower if the Earth spun faster but he is far off the mark to say time would be "much slower". To give an idea of how small the difference would be, a cesium atom would flip polarity 9,192,631,769.96 times in an atomic clock on the speed doubled Earth, in the time a cesium atom flipped polarity 9,192,631,770 times in the space reference clock. To make a clock on the equator run 1% slower than a reference clock in space, the Earth's rotation speed would have to be about 100,000 times faster than it is now.

Dear radio listener,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the concept of time and the Earth's revolution on its axis. While I am not a scientist or expert in the theory of relativity, I do understand the basic principles behind it and would like to offer my response to your question.

Firstly, it is important to understand that time is a relative concept. It is not a constant, but rather depends on the observer's perspective and the frame of reference. This is the basis of Einstein's theory of relativity. So, when we talk about time becoming "faster" or "slower," we need to consider whose perspective we are looking at it from.

In the case of the Earth's revolution on its axis, if it were to accelerate, it would not affect time in the sense of making it faster or slower. Time would still pass at the same rate for someone standing on the Earth's surface. However, from an outside observer's perspective, time may appear to be moving slower due to the increased speed of the Earth's rotation.

Now, coming to the radio announcer's statement, I believe he was correct in saying that if the Earth's revolution on its axis were to accelerate, time would become slower. This is because, from an outside observer's perspective, the Earth's rotation would appear to be faster, and therefore time would seem to be moving slower in comparison. This is in line with the theory of relativity.

In conclusion, I do agree with the radio announcer's statement and believe that it is related to the theory of relativity. However, it is important to remember that time is a relative concept and can be perceived differently depending on the observer's perspective. I hope this helps to clarify your question.

1. What causes the revolution of the earth on its axis to accelerate?

The revolution of the earth on its axis is caused by the gravitational pull of the sun and other celestial bodies. As the earth rotates, the gravitational forces from these bodies cause it to change its speed and direction, resulting in an acceleration of its revolution.

2. How does the acceleration of the revolution of the earth affect our daily lives?

The acceleration of the earth's revolution has a minimal effect on our daily lives. It does not significantly impact the length of our days or the seasons. However, it can cause slight variations in the timing of sunrise and sunset.

3. Is the acceleration of the earth's revolution a recent phenomenon?

No, the earth's revolution has been accelerating gradually since its formation. This acceleration is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which causes the earth to spin faster as it contracts in size. However, the rate of acceleration is very slow and imperceptible to us.

4. Could the acceleration of the earth's revolution have any long-term effects?

The acceleration of the earth's revolution is not expected to have any significant long-term effects. It is a natural process that has been occurring for millions of years and is expected to continue at a gradual pace. However, factors such as changes in the earth's mass or orbit could potentially impact the acceleration rate.

5. Can the acceleration of the earth's revolution be measured?

Yes, the acceleration of the earth's revolution can be measured using advanced equipment and techniques. Scientists use precise measurements of the earth's rotation and orbit to calculate its acceleration rate. However, due to the slow and gradual nature of this acceleration, it is challenging to measure accurately.