Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When to use HYBRIdiZED ORBITAL?

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    Hi.

I am wondering when should we use hybridized orbital?
    For PH3, we don't use hybridized orbital because it could be described by the valence shell method.
    The valence shell orbital diagram:
    p: [Ne] 3s:up down 3p: up up up

And we have 3 up. so the 3 extra electrons from hydrogen could fit into there. Therefore we don't need hybridized orbital.
    But when do we need it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

You most need it in the case of tetravalent carbon to get four equivalent bonds using valence bond theory. Most other molecules like NH3, H2O etc. can be described well using only their p-orbitals in bonding.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  4. Dec 10, 2012 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Surely we do need hybridized orbitals. The classical Lewis structure is not true at quantum level, the bonding angle between the overlapping electronic probability clouds is not 90deg as predicted by the classical Lewis structure, but approx. 107deg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonal_pyramidal_molecular_geometry

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

That the angle is off from 90 deg, does not mean that you have to use hybrid orbitals, especially in molecules like PH3 where the radii of the s and p orbitals on Phosphorus are too different to make useful hybrids. The bond angle in PH3 is only 93.5 deg.

6. Dec 10, 2012 #5

Hi. I just googled it. Most ppl from the web said for PH3, you will have sp3 hybri orbital, but then from the text, it clearly identify that it doesn't need to use hybri orbital.
    So, what do you think?

Can I go wrong if I assume everything will use hybri orbital?

7. Dec 11, 2012 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

Then why do you ask?

8. Dec 11, 2012 #7
    No. I mean. I still unclear whether it should use hybri or not.
    The text says no.
    Other ppl say yes.

9. Dec 11, 2012 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

People may say whatever they want. I would go for a textbook over some 'hearsay' on the (free) internet. :rolleyes:

And please, make an effort to write <people>.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook