Gravity: Is the Earth Moving Towards You?

In summary, gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other, so when an object falls, the Earth is also being pulled towards it. However, the Earth has a much larger mass, making the pull on the object more noticeable. This is according to classical theory, but in reality, everything in the universe is being pulled towards each other due to gravity. The reason we only attribute the change in potential energy to the falling object and not the Earth is because the Earth's motion due to attraction with the object is negligible. Additionally, the mass of the object and Earth play a significant role in determining the amount of momentum in opposite directions.
ywd
When you are falling down, is the Earth moving ever so slightly "up" towards you?

Pardon the n00bocity of this question, but i believe gravity is a force that pulls all objects towards each other, so wouldn't it be pulling the Earth towards you? Of course it would be a negligible movement.

Science news on Phys.org
ywd said:
Pardon the n00bocity of this question, but i believe gravity is a force that pulls all objects towards each other, so wouldn't it be pulling the Earth towards you? Of course it would be a negligible movement.

Yes you are, when you drop a stick, the stick is attracted to Earth so it will pull the Earth towards it, but the Earth has a much much much larger mass so its pull on the stick will be more noticeable and much stronger, and as far as I know it's not a noobish question. The only really noobish question is the one not asked.

Absolutely. Viewed from an outside inertial frame, both object and Earth accelerate towards each other. Of course the acceleration of the Earth is ridiculously small. (Calculate it!)

malty said:
Yes you are, when you drop a stick, the stick is attracted to Earth so it will pull the Earth towards it, but the Earth has a much much much larger mass so its pull on the stick will be more noticeable and much stronger, and as far as I know it's not a noobish question. The only really noobish question is the one not asked.

the force on the stick (from the Earth) is the same as the force on the Earth (from the stick). This is according to classical theory of course. The real difference is the acceleration (as DocAl already noted).

Not only that; but the the moon isn't really orbint Earth exactly. It's orbiting the Sun while it orbits the earth.

Oops, not quite, because the planets don't really orbit exactly around the Sun, they orbit around the center of gravity for our Solar System (which is close to the center of the Sun). So the Sun really orbits the center of gravity for our Solar System.

Oops, not quite, because our Solar System is actually orbting the center of gravity for our Galaxy.

Oops, not quite, because our Galaxy is actually being pulled on by gravity toward the center of gravity for our cluster of galaxies.

Oops, not quite, because our cluster of galaxies is also being pulled toward the center of gravity for the entire universe.

So, really, everything in the entire universe is being attracted to your body when it falls (or even when you're just standing there). Although the force grows very weak very quickly since the mass of our body is very low really. I guess you could use that as a pickup line:

"Hey baby, I've got an attractive force that reaches the ends of the Universe"

Ok, so it's a bad pickup line. :D

ywd said:

But we ascribe all the change of potential energy to kinetic energy to the object falling, and none to the earth, even though the Earth also moves, and both have the same momentum in opposite directions. Can you figure out why?

Shooting star said:
But we ascribe all the change of potential energy to kinetic energy to the object falling, and none to the earth, even though the Earth also moves, and both have the same momentum in opposite directions. Can you figure out why?

Is this a question you'd like an answer to? Or a challenge to the OP? I can give you the answer, but we can let other folks stew in it for a while.

Rahmuss said:
Not only that; but the the moon isn't really orbint Earth exactly. It's orbiting the Sun while it orbits the earth.

Oops, not quite, because the planets don't really orbit exactly around the Sun, they orbit around the center of gravity for our Solar System (which is close to the center of the Sun). So the Sun really orbits the center of gravity for our Solar System.

Oops, not quite, because our Solar System is actually orbting the center of gravity for our Galaxy.

Oops, not quite, because our Galaxy is actually being pulled on by gravity toward the center of gravity for our cluster of galaxies.

Oops, not quite, because our cluster of galaxies is also being pulled toward the center of gravity for the entire universe.

So, really, everything in the entire universe is being attracted to your body when it falls (or even when you're just standing there). Although the force grows very weak very quickly since the mass of our body is very low really. I guess you could use that as a pickup line:

"Hey baby, I've got an attractive force that reaches the ends of the Universe"

Ok, so it's a bad pickup line. :D

So what you are saying is that I am the center of the universe?

LOL, well, in a sense that's what science says; but that's not what I'm saying there, no. I'm saying that your gravitational force flows throughout the entire universe. So, unless your mass is the most significant mass in the Universe, then you're not the center (of mass) of the Universe. :)

Shooting star said:

Is it because, even though the Earth moves towards the object in accordance with gravitation law, its motion across space due to the attraction with the object is so negligible that the effect the object has on Earth is completely ignored.

by the way, are you sure both the object and Earth have equal momentum in opposite directions. Isn't mass a huge factor that determines the kind of effect they have on each other?

nesna said:
by the way, are you sure both the object and Earth have equal momentum in opposite directions. Isn't mass a huge factor that determines the kind of effect they have on each other?
Both object and Earth experience the same force for the same time, thus they both have the same change in momentum (but oppositely directed, of course).

Chi Meson said:
Is this a question you'd like an answer to? Or a challenge to the OP? I can give you the answer, but we can let other folks stew in it for a while.

Oh, it was meant for the OP, who supposedly is a newbie, to help him learn some more Physics. That's why I gave his quote.

Doc Al said:
Both object and Earth experience the same force for the same time, thus they both have the same change in momentum (but oppositely directed, of course).

If the object and Earth experience the same force for the same time, am i right in assuming that the Earth's contribution to that force is much more than what the object may contribute to that force?

nesna said:
If the object and Earth experience the same force for the same time, am i right in assuming that the Earth's contribution to that force is much more than what the object may contribute to that force?

You are saying that the forces are equal. Then what do you mean by "earth's contribution" is more?

nesna said:
Not quite sure what you mean, since a force is an interaction between two objects. Certainly the mass and gravitational field of the Earth is much bigger, but both objects exert the same force on each other.

nesna said:

Yes. The Earth makes the force as large as it is more than the person falling. If you were an ant, the force would be still relatively large. If the Earth was an ant. Then the force, would almost be non existant.

nesna - The change in momentum is the same. Mometum is given by the equation:

[tex]p = mv[/tex]

And so, yes, the vass of the Earth is very large; but the velocity at which it moved when the stick hit it was very small. The force is equal and opposite.

Rahmuss said:
nesna - The change in momentum is the same. Mometum is given by the equation:

[tex]p = mv[/tex]

And so, yes, the vass of the Earth is very large; but the velocity at which it moved when the stick hit it was very small. The force is equal and opposite.

You are almost there...

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon in which objects with mass are attracted to each other. It is the force that keeps us grounded on Earth and keeps planets in orbit around the sun.

2. Is the Earth moving towards me?

No, the Earth is not moving towards you. The force of gravity is what keeps us on the surface of the Earth, but it is not pulling us towards it. The Earth is actually constantly moving in orbit around the sun.

3. How does gravity affect us?

Gravity affects us in many ways. It keeps us on the surface of the Earth, allows us to walk and jump, and keeps our atmosphere in place. It also affects the tides and the orbits of planets and moons in our solar system.

4. Why do we feel weightless in space if gravity is still present?

In space, objects are still affected by gravity, but they are in a state of constant freefall. This gives the illusion of weightlessness because there is no surface or support pushing back against our bodies.

5. Can gravity change?

Gravity is a constant force and does not change. However, the strength of gravity can vary depending on the mass and distance of objects. For example, the gravity on the moon is weaker than on Earth because it has less mass.