Where an electric field is equal due to two charges?

In summary, the net electric field must be zero, so the two electric fields from the positive and negative charges must be in opposite directions and equal magnitudes. In regions I and IV, this condition is met, and the strength of the field depends on the distance from the charge and the magnitude of the charge. In region I, the effects of the larger positive charge will always dominate, while in region IV, there may be a point where the two fields can effectively cancel.
mirandab17
Picture14.png

Hey there!

I don't understand how this really works. With each region, how is it that the charges carry over...? The answer is the fourth region. I'm just totally lost, please explain to me. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mirandab17 said:
Picture14.png

Hey there!

I don't understand how this really works. With each region, how is it that the charges carry over...? The answer is the fourth region. I'm just totally lost, please explain to me. :)

The net electric field is to be zero, so the two fields must separately be in opposite directions - and of equal magnitude.

The electric field due to the positive charge is away from the charge, so left in region I, and right in regions II, III and IV.

The electric field due to a negative charge is towards the charge, so right in regions I, II & III, and left in region IV.

Only in regions I and IV are the two field in opposite direction, so we know it is one of them.

The strength of the field, E, drops off with distance - the further you are from the charge, the smaller the field, E.
AND
The larger the charge, the stronger the field, E, for any specific distance.

In region I, you are closer [stronger E] to the larger [stronger E] charge, so the effects of the + charge will always dominate.

In region IV, you are closer [stronger E] to the smaller [weaker E] charge, so there may be a point where the two fields can effectively cancel.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle at any given point in space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a charged particle, such as an electron or a proton. The charge of the particle interacts with the charges of other particles in its vicinity, causing a force to be exerted between them.

3. What is the equation for calculating the electric field between two charges?

The equation for calculating the electric field between two charges is E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

4. How is the electric field affected when two charges are placed close together?

The electric field between two charges is affected by the distance between the charges. As the charges get closer together, the electric field becomes stronger. This is because the force between the charges increases as the distance between them decreases.

5. How does the direction of the electric field change when two charges are placed close together?

The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force that it exerts on a positive test charge. When two opposite charges are placed close together, the electric field points away from the positive charge and towards the negative charge. When two like charges are placed close together, the electric field points away from both charges.