1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where are the Linear Generators?

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    I have been intigued by the linear generator concept. No one has really seemed to take this idea further. Maserati is integrating them into shock absorbers, and some have applied them to generate electricity from waves.

But where are these generators, can you buy them, or look at the specifications of efficiency, voltage output, etc? price?

some guidance would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2
    Interesting. The only one I've seen are those "shake and charge" flashlights.
    Wasn't aware the concept was used elsewise. Good find. Maybe others can comment.
  4. Jun 15, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't think there would be much of a market for off-the-shelf linear generators. It seems to me they would all be customized to the application.
  5. Jun 16, 2010 #4
    Would you happen to know a company which produces them for specific applications?
  6. Jun 16, 2010 #5
    Look at the rack and pinion ocean-wave-buoy generator on page 2 of (4.3 MB file)

http://www.libertyparkusafd.org/lp/BuildingGreenUSA/Ocean%20Power/Ocean%20Wave%20Energy.pdf [Broken]

Bob S
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook