1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where are the PHYSICAL inputs to a control system?

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone, I'm brand new here, so please bare with me if my question doesn't come out right.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So for my senior design class I am working with a control system that balances an inverted pendulum. Here is my SIMULINK diagram:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62748/Untitled.jpg [Broken]

I am using a simple potentiometer to measure the angle of the pendulum, but my question is, where do I hook this into? The input that is currently there is a force. Like a disturbance on the cart.

2. Relevant equations

I used the following equations from wikipedia to model the system and I linearized them about θ = 0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_pendulum#Pendulum_on_a_cart

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the bottom right integrator's output is the angle, my inclination is to take out that integrator and connect the output from the pot to where the output of the integrator used to be. Does that make sense?

I've tried asking my professor, but I don't think he understands my question and if I ask him any more times he might think I'm crazy lol.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2
    I'm not sure. I know my controls books has a section on estimating states and also estimating states when one or more state is known through measurement.

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    Oh okay. What is the name or ISBN number of the book? I think you are describing an observer but I want to look it up.

5. Apr 9, 2012 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook