Where does natural frequency comes from?

In summary, natural frequencies are an intrinsic property of bodies and play a significant role in control systems. They determine the largest amplitudes and oscillations in resonance. The reason for their existence lies in the boundary conditions and the wavelengths that fit in the given geometry. One can refer to books on the subject to learn more about it.
ramzerimar
I know everything has a natural frequency that is a intrinsic property to the body in question. For example, a string vibrating has the largest amplitudes when it's vibrating near it's natural frequency, and the same thing happens with other things too (like the Tacoma Bridge).

Natural frequencies also play a important role in control systems. Systems have natural frequencies that you have to take into account when you are designing controllers for them.

While I understand reasonably well how natural frequencies "work", I can't really grasp where do they come from. I mean, is there a reason to why every body has a natural frequency? And why systems have large amplitude oscillations when in resonance?

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest answer is that they come from the boundary conditions.

Zz.

It has to do with what wavelengths fit in the given geometry and give rise to resonance. Using the speed of e.g., sound, in the object, the frequency is determined.

Is there any book I could refeer to so as to learn more on the subject?

1. What is natural frequency?

Natural frequency refers to the frequency at which an object or system vibrates when it is disturbed from its equilibrium position. It is determined by the physical properties of the object or system, such as its mass, stiffness, and damping.

2. Where does natural frequency come from?

Natural frequency comes from the inherent properties of an object or system. These properties determine how it will respond when disturbed, resulting in a specific frequency of vibration.

3. How is natural frequency different from resonant frequency?

Natural frequency and resonant frequency are closely related, but not the same. Natural frequency is the frequency at which an object or system will naturally vibrate, while resonant frequency is the frequency at which an external force will cause the object or system to vibrate with the greatest amplitude.

4. Can natural frequency be changed?

Yes, natural frequency can be changed by altering the physical properties of an object or system. For example, increasing the stiffness or decreasing the mass can result in a higher natural frequency.

5. How is natural frequency important in science and engineering?

Understanding natural frequency is important in science and engineering because it helps us predict how objects and systems will respond to external forces. It is also crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand vibrations and prevent resonance, which can be damaging and even catastrophic.