Frequency spectrum of a clarinet

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi.

Usually, the clarinet is presented as acting like a pipe system closed at one end, which only allows for harmonics that are odd multiples of the fundamental frequency. I used the app "SpectrumView" by OxfordWaveResearch to measure the following spectrum:
20180619_163908000_iOS.jpg

Fair enough, the amplitudes of the odd harmonics are considerably smaller than the ones of the even harmonics, but far from "absent". I assume that no real-world system satisfies boundary conditions such as "closed pipe" and "open pipe" perfectly and are a mixture between them, but I still would have expected the amplitudes of the odd harmonics to be much smaller.

Is something wrong with my measurement, or is the closed-pipe-nature of a clarinet really THAT indistinct?

As a comparison, the spectrum of the G string of a guitar (which resembles a pipe closed at both ends), which has the same fundamental frequency:
20180619_164045000_iOS.jpg

Attachments

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The short answer to your question is that there are reed resonances in the clarinet that fill in the spectrum. There is a wealth of information on clarinets and other instruments here
http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/music/clarinet/