Where does the exponential function come from in roots?

In summary, the fundamental formula for describing the multiplicative structure of a curved phase space is the exponential function, which can be seen as a combination of the trigonometric functions and the periodic functions.
TachyonLord
For example, in linear differential equations, there might be these questions where we'd directly use e∫pdx as the integrating factor and then substitute it in this really cliche formula but I never really understood where it came from. Help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
TachyonLord said:
For example, in linear differential equations, there might be these questions where we'd directly use e∫pdx as the integrating factor and then substitute it in this really cliche formula but I never really understood where it came from. Help ?
That's a good question. I like to see it this way: The exponential function solves a fix point problem, namely ##y'=y##. A general differential equation is a kind of variation of it, ##y'=f(y)##, so it's plausible that a some sort of modification of the exponential function, ##c \cdot e^{g(x)}##, comes into play.

Another point of view is the fundamental (and defining!) formula ##e^x\cdot e^y=e^{x+y}\,.## It translates the multiplicative structure of some curved phase space, which the solutions to a differential equation system are, into the linearity of its tangent spaces, or for short ##e^0=1## or ##e^{\operatorname{trace}}=\det##. In a differential equation system we have some statements about tangent spaces, i.e. something linear: ##x+y##, and we are searching for the curved solution to which these are the tangent spaces, i.e. ##x+y \mapsto f(x)\cdot f(y)\,.## And such a relation defines the exponential function. The next prominent functions are periodic ones, the trigonometric functions. However, a little detour to the complex numbers shows us, that they are, too, a combination of exponential functions.
So for me it is the property ##e^{\text{linear}} = \text{curved}\; , \;e^{\text{tangents}}=\text{flow}\,.##

Likes TachyonLord
fresh_42 said:
That's a good question. I like to see it this way: The exponential function solves a fix point problem, namely ##y'=y##. A general differential equation is a kind of variation of it, ##y'=f(y)##, so it's plausible that a some sort of modification of the exponential function, ##c \cdot e^{g(x)}##, comes into play.

Another point of view is the fundamental (and defining!) formula ##e^x\cdot e^y=e^{x+y}\,.## It translates the multiplicative structure of some curved phase space, which the solutions to a differential equation system are, into the linearity of its tangent spaces, or for short ##e^0=1## or ##e^{\operatorname{trace}}=\det##. In a differential equation system we have some statements about tangent spaces, i.e. something linear: ##x+y##, and we are searching for the curved solution to which these are the tangent spaces, i.e. ##x+y \mapsto f(x)\cdot f(y)\,.## And such a relation defines the exponential function. The next prominent functions are periodic ones, the trigonometric functions. However, a little detour to the complex numbers shows us, that they are, too, a combination of exponential functions.
So for me it is the property ##e^{\text{linear}} = \text{curved}\; , \;e^{\text{tangents}}=\text{flow}\,.##
Thank you so much :)

1. What is the exponential function?

The exponential function is a mathematical function that represents repeated multiplication of a number by itself. It is written as f(x) = bx, where b is the base and x is the exponent.

2. How is the exponential function related to roots?

The exponential function is related to roots through the property of inverse operations. The exponential function with a base of b can be rewritten as the root function with an index of 1/b, or as a fractional exponent.

3. Where does the exponential function come from in roots?

The concept of the exponential function in roots comes from the inverse relationship between exponents and roots. Just as raising a number to an exponent is the inverse of taking the root of that number, the exponential function with a base of b is the inverse of the root function with an index of 1/b.

4. How is the exponential function used in solving root equations?

The exponential function can be used in solving root equations by taking both sides of the equation to the power of the reciprocal of the root index. This will cancel out the root and leave the original equation with just the variable and the exponent.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the exponential function in roots?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the exponential function in roots, such as in finance and population growth models. It is also used in various scientific fields, such as physics and biology, to describe exponential growth and decay processes.