Where in the world is it safe to travel?

• News
  • Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Travel
In summary, the conversation discusses a map ranking countries based on safety for travelers, with information from the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs. The map indicates that Japan is not as safe as previously thought due to potential risks from the Fukushima nuclear power plant. The conversation also includes suggestions for safe places to travel in Asia and a debate about the safety of tropical locales. However, the conversation is from 2013 and may not reflect current safety conditions. The thread is closed and it is recommended to do research and post current information when discussing safe places to travel.
SW VandeCarr
This article is based on information from the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs. Strangely, Canada itself is not classified, I guess because it's information for Canadians. One surprise is Japan which is ranked two levels below the safest, indicating some areas are unsafe. I always thought Japan was an exceedingly safe country.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/countries-safe-danger-travel-140344866.html

Physics news on Phys.org
SW VandeCarr said:
This article is based on information from the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs. Strangely, Canada itself is not classified, I guess because it's information for Canadians. One surprise is Japan which is ranked two levels below the safest, indicating some areas are unsafe. I always thought Japan was an exceedingly safe country.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/countries-safe-danger-travel-140344866.html
When the website comes up, click on the map. That will bring up a larger, interactive version of the map. From there you can click on any country for more details about the travel recommendations to that country (if any extra details exist).

In the case of Japan, the details given include:
Regional warnings: Avoid all travel to the areas around the Fukushima nuclear power plant, in particular the districts and towns that have been designated as exclusion zones by the Japanese authorities.​

collinsmark said:
When the website comes up, click on the map. That will bring up a larger, interactive version of the map. From there you can click on any country for more details about the travel recommendations to that country (if any extra details exist).

In the case of Japan, the details given include:
Regional warnings: Avoid all travel to the areas around the Fukushima nuclear power plant, in particular the districts and towns that have been designated as exclusion zones by the Japanese authorities.​

Right! Thanks. I discovered that right after I posted. I was thinking in terms of violence and human rights violations.

Last edited:
Interesting. I would not have considered environmental factors like that when considering travel safety.

lisab said:
Interesting. I would not have considered environmental factors like that when considering travel safety.
Yeah, and while we're at it, steer clear of the Grand Canyon - it's a death trap!

SW VandeCarr said:
Right! Thanks. I discovered that right after I posted. I was thinking in terms of violence and human rights violations.

Japan is extremely safe for visitors. I've worked there and visited many times and just like everywhere there are places to go if you like to live dangerously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichihara,_Chiba

http://www.japantoday.com/search?q=chiba+crime

Once you leave the major cities in America it's as safe as most of the world.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
... I guess because it's information for Canadians.

Antarctica is marked green. This must be is for Canadians.

jobyts said:
Antarctica is marked green. This must be is for Canadians.

We're not comfortable in tropical locales such as Bulgaria.

Last edited:
When considering "travel" one should take into account the origin of the subject word.

If you would want to travel to Asia, I suggest you do to Japan, South Korea, Hongkong, Australia, Singapore. If you can't afford their high living standards, traveling to third world countries like India or some other South East Asian countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam) is probably good.

Likes Sophia and 1oldman2
Silicon Waffle said:
If you would want to travel to Asia, I suggest you do to Japan, South Korea, Hongkong, Australia, Singapore. If you can't afford their high living standards, traveling to third world countries like India or some other South East Asian countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam) is probably good.
"Oz" would be my top pick on the list. (most anywhere with cold beer would do as a second choice) :wink:

Likes Silicon Waffle
Hello. Is it ok to bump old threads like this. :wink:
  • I noticed it was 2013, now 2016. Just curious. Thank you since I am very new here.

Likes Silicon Waffle
jw6661 said:
Hello. Is it ok to bump old threads like this. :wink:
  • I noticed it was 2013, now 2016. Just curious. Thank you since I am very new here.
Bumping old threads is confusing, especially for a thread about travel safety like this which changes so much.

Thread closed. If someone wants to start a discussion about safe places to travel, they should do research and post CURRENT information.

Likes Silicon Waffle

1. Is it safe to travel to developing countries?

The safety of traveling to developing countries depends on the specific country and its current political and economic situation. It is important to research and stay updated on any potential safety concerns before planning a trip. In general, it is recommended to exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings while traveling in developing countries.

2. Are there any safety precautions I should take while traveling?

Yes, there are several safety precautions you can take while traveling. These include being aware of your surroundings, avoiding any areas with high crime rates, keeping your valuables secure, and following any local laws and customs. It is also important to have a plan in case of emergencies and to stay informed about any potential safety risks in the area.

3. How can I find out if a specific country is safe to travel to?

You can find out if a specific country is safe to travel to by researching the current political and economic situation, checking travel advisories issued by your government or international organizations, and reading reviews or recommendations from other travelers. It is also recommended to consult with a travel agent or tour guide who is familiar with the area.

4. Are there any resources available to help me plan a safe trip?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you plan a safe trip. These include government websites, such as the US Department of State's Traveler's Checklist, which provides safety information and tips for travelers. Additionally, travel agencies and tour companies often have safety protocols in place and can provide valuable information and assistance when planning a trip.

5. What should I do if I feel unsafe while traveling?

If you feel unsafe while traveling, it is important to trust your instincts and remove yourself from the situation if possible. You can also reach out to your embassy or consulate for assistance, or contact local authorities for help. It is always a good idea to have a backup plan in case of emergencies and to have important contact numbers saved in your phone.