Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Where in the world is it safe to travel?

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    This article is based on information from the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs. Strangely, Canada itself is not classified, I guess because it's information for Canadians. One surprise is Japan which is ranked two levels below the safest, indicating some areas are unsafe. I always thought Japan was an exceedingly safe country.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/countries-safe-danger-travel-140344866.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the website comes up, click on the map. That will bring up a larger, interactive version of the map. From there you can click on any country for more details about the travel recommendations to that country (if any extra details exist).

In the case of Japan, the details given include:
    Regional warnings: Avoid all travel to the areas around the Fukushima nuclear power plant, in particular the districts and towns that have been designated as exclusion zones by the Japanese authorities.​

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    Right! Thanks. I discovered that right after I posted. I was thinking in terms of violence and human rights violations.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. Apr 3, 2013 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting. I would not have considered environmental factors like that when considering travel safety.

6. Apr 3, 2013 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, and while we're at it, steer clear of the Grand Canyon - it's a death trap!

7. Apr 3, 2013 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Japan is extremely safe for visitors. I've worked there and visited many times and just like everywhere there are places to go if you like to live dangerously.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichihara,_Chiba

http://www.japantoday.com/search?q=chiba+crime

Once you leave the major cities in America it's as safe as most of the world.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  8. Apr 4, 2013 #7
    Antarctica is marked green. This must be is for Canadians.

9. Apr 4, 2013 #8

Danger

Gold Member

We're not comfortable in tropical locales such as Bulgaria.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  10. Jan 26, 2016 #9

1oldman2

Gold Member

When considering "travel" one should take into account the origin of the subject word.

11. Jan 26, 2016 #10
    If you would want to travel to Asia, I suggest you do to Japan, South Korea, Hongkong, Australia, Singapore. If you can't afford their high living standards, traveling to third world countries like India or some other South East Asian countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam) is probably good.

12. Jan 26, 2016 #11

1oldman2

Gold Member

"Oz" would be my top pick on the list. (most anywhere with cold beer would do as a second choice) :wink:

13. Feb 18, 2016 #12
    Hello. Is it ok to bump old threads like this. :wink:
    • I noticed it was 2013, now 2016. Just curious. Thank you since I am very new here.

14. Feb 18, 2016 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Bumping old threads is confusing, especially for a thread about travel safety like this which changes so much.

Thread closed. If someone wants to start a discussion about safe places to travel, they should do research and post CURRENT information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook