1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where is the center of mass of the slab

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows the dimensions of a composite slab; a fraction of the slab is made of aluminum (density = 2.70 g/cm3) and other part is made of iron (density = 7.85 g/cm3). They are not equal as indicated in the figure, but have x1 = 7.5 cm and x2 = 14.5 cm. As measured from the interface b etween the two metals, where is the center of mass of the slab ( cm)? (Take + toward aluminum with the origin as the midpoint.)

2. Relevant equations
    density = m/v
    xcom = (m1x1 + m2x2)/M

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the volumes and then the mass of each section. I got the mass of the Iron slab to be 2143g and the mass of the Aluminum slab to 1425.6g. I assumed that the center of mass for each slab would be the middle if it was not connected to the other slab. So I got the center of mass for the Iron slab to be (3.75,6.5) and the Aluminum slab to be (7.25,6.5). Then I used xcom = (m1x1 + m2x2)/M and got around 5.15 cm. That doesnt seem right. Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    That isn't right. Relative to the boundary, x1 is negative.
  4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    Call the left-hand side the origin, and the centers will be 3.75 (iron) and 14.75(aluminium). Calculate the center from there. I wasn't quite sure whether you meant for the interface (at 7.5) to be the origin or the midpoint (at 11), so once you have the left-origin center, subtract either 7.5 or 11 from that depending on which you want.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?