Center of mass of two metal solids.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
chenying
Messages
46
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Figure 7-29 shows a composite slab with dimensions 22.0 cm multiplied by 13.0 cm multiplied by 2.8 cm. Half of the slab is made of aluminum (density = 2.70 g/cm3) and half of iron (density = 7.85 g/cm3), as shown. How far from the line joining the two metals is the center of mass of the slab



09_31.gif



Homework Equations



Center of mass equations: ([tex]\Sigma[/tex]X*r)/M

M = total mass

The Attempt at a Solution



So, since there are two slabs of metal connected to each other, I first found the center of mass of each metal and then found the center of mass of both together.

Using common sense and the assumption that the density is uniform, the center of masses for each block would be in the exact middle of the metals.

I made my origin for the coordinate system at the bottom left vertex of the the iron part of the slab, where x=0, y=0, and z=0.

For iron, I obtained the (x,y,z) coordinates of (5.5, 6.5, 1.4)

and aluminum (x,y,z) coordinates of (16.5, 6.5, 1.4)

now, I want to find r[tex]_{}cm[/tex], which i did by squaring all the values, added them together, and the found the square root of that sum:

Iron: r[tex]_{}cm[/tex]: 8.62902
Aluminum: r[tex]_{}cm[/tex]: 17.7893

I found the mass by finding half the volume of the slab, and multiplying each density by half that volume.

so, no i use the center of mass equation, ([tex]\Sigma[/tex]X*r)/M, and get a value of 10.9734 centimeters

Now, to find how far it is from the line, I made a triangle, where 11-10.9734 and 1.4 are my legs, and the hypotenuse is the distance. Using the theorem, i get an answer of:

1.40025 centimeters

Answer does not seem right, so I'm wondering what I might have done wrong?
 
Attachments
  • 09_31.gif
    09_31.gif
    18 KB · Views: 1,247
Physics news on Phys.org
The y and z parts are obvious, so just do the x:
sum of (m*r)/(sum of masses)
x = (massOfIron*5.5 + massOfAl*16.5)/(total mass)
 
Delphi51 said:
The y and z parts are obvious, so just do the x:
sum of (m*r)/(sum of masses)
x = (massOfIron*5.5 + massOfAl*16.5)/(total mass)

Why are the y and z parts obvious?