Center of mass of two metal solids.

In summary, the center of mass of the slab is in the middle of the two metals, but 1.40025 cm away from the line connecting the two metals.
chenying

Homework Statement

Figure 7-29 shows a composite slab with dimensions 22.0 cm multiplied by 13.0 cm multiplied by 2.8 cm. Half of the slab is made of aluminum (density = 2.70 g/cm3) and half of iron (density = 7.85 g/cm3), as shown. How far from the line joining the two metals is the center of mass of the slab

09_31.gif

Homework Equations

Center of mass equations: ([tex]\Sigma[/tex]X*r)/M

M = total mass

The Attempt at a Solution

So, since there are two slabs of metal connected to each other, I first found the center of mass of each metal and then found the center of mass of both together.

Using common sense and the assumption that the density is uniform, the center of masses for each block would be in the exact middle of the metals.

I made my origin for the coordinate system at the bottom left vertex of the the iron part of the slab, where x=0, y=0, and z=0.

For iron, I obtained the (x,y,z) coordinates of (5.5, 6.5, 1.4)

and aluminum (x,y,z) coordinates of (16.5, 6.5, 1.4)

now, I want to find r[tex]_{}cm[/tex], which i did by squaring all the values, added them together, and the found the square root of that sum:

Iron: r[tex]_{}cm[/tex]: 8.62902
Aluminum: r[tex]_{}cm[/tex]: 17.7893

I found the mass by finding half the volume of the slab, and multiplying each density by half that volume.

so, no i use the center of mass equation, ([tex]\Sigma[/tex]X*r)/M, and get a value of 10.9734 centimeters

Now, to find how far it is from the line, I made a triangle, where 11-10.9734 and 1.4 are my legs, and the hypotenuse is the distance. Using the theorem, i get an answer of:

1.40025 centimeters

Answer does not seem right, so I'm wondering what I might have done wrong?

Attachments

• 09_31.gif
    09_31.gif
    18 KB · Views: 1,118
Physics news on Phys.org
The y and z parts are obvious, so just do the x:
sum of (m*r)/(sum of masses)
x = (massOfIron*5.5 + massOfAl*16.5)/(total mass)

Delphi51 said:
The y and z parts are obvious, so just do the x:
sum of (m*r)/(sum of masses)
x = (massOfIron*5.5 + massOfAl*16.5)/(total mass)

Why are the y and z parts obvious?

Nevermind i got it. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the concept of center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the balance point of an object, where the weight is evenly distributed in all directions.

2. How is the center of mass of two metal solids calculated?

The center of mass of two metal solids is calculated by finding the weighted average of their individual centers of mass. This is done by multiplying the individual masses by their respective distances from a reference point, and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass.

3. Does the shape of the metal solids affect their center of mass?

Yes, the shape of the metal solids does affect their center of mass. Objects with more mass distributed towards one side will have a center of mass closer to that side, while objects with symmetrical mass distribution will have their center of mass in the middle.

4. What is the significance of the center of mass of two metal solids?

The center of mass is used to determine the stability and balance of an object. For two metal solids, the center of mass can help predict how they will interact with each other when in contact, such as during a collision or when resting on each other.

5. Can the center of mass of two metal solids be outside of the physical objects?

Yes, the center of mass of two metal solids can be located outside of the physical objects, especially if the objects have irregular shapes or if one object is significantly larger than the other. In these cases, the center of mass may be located in the empty space between the objects.