1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where is the electric field zero

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A -10.0 nC point charge and a +20.0 nC point charge are 15.0 cm apart on the x-axis.

a. What is the electric potential at the point on the x-axis where the electric field is zero?
    b. What is the magnitude of the electric field at the point on the x-axis, between the charges, where the electric potential is zero?

2. Relevant equations
    E = kQ/r^2
    V = Ed
    U = kQq/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let x be the distance from the -10nC point where the field is zero in cm
    r = .15m
    k = Coulomb's constant (8.99*10^9)
    q1 = -10nC
    q2 = 20nC
    I tried solving for where the electric field would be zero by first doing:
    [tex]0 = \frac{k*q_1}{(x)^2} + \frac{k*q_2}{(r-x)^2}[/tex]
    Solving for x, I got x = -0.36m and 0.062m

I'm not really sure how to proceed from here since I have two points where it seems that the field is zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2
    You have a positive charge say at (a,0) and a negetive charge at (b,0). Obviously the electric field is non zero in between the charges. Your equation is incorrect because you assumed the required point to be in between a and b.(you took r to be the distance between the charges and x to be the distance from q1 to the required point, and the other is r-x).
    So change it to:
    $$0=\frac{kq_1}{x^2} + \frac{kq_2}{(r+x)^2}$$
    Same method is used for electric potential as well. Try to derive the expression for the point where the potential is zero. Then again find x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted