1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where is the force coming from to compress the spring

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a plank is moved with uniform velocity v. To which a mass is connected by a spring of force constant k. What is work done by the external agent on the maximum compression of the spring
    2. Relevant equations
    Work done by spring=0.5*k*x2
    Work-energy theorem: total work done =change in kinetic energy

3. The attempt at a solution
    in order to compress a spring there has to be a force.but since it is given plank is moving with uniform velocity.where is the force coming from?
    Since I couldn't figure or understand that I couldn't proceed further.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2
    The screenshot makes it a bit clearer. The "plank" is moved with constant velocity--but what about the mass, m? It seems we have to neglect friction.

4. Mar 13, 2017 #3
    Then also why the mass moves...?

5. Mar 13, 2017 #4
    What would happen to the mass if there was no spring, and no friction, and the plank suddenly started moving at velocity v0?

6. Mar 13, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is the necessary assumption, not made clear in the question.

7. Mar 13, 2017 #6
    It's not a terribly well written question--nothing about friction, for one thing--but I don't think anything else makes sense.

8. Mar 14, 2017 #7
    Ok then what is the work done by spring in this situation .is it negative or positive?

9. Mar 14, 2017 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that the exact wording of the question?

There is no mention of it starting from rest?

10. Mar 14, 2017 #9
    Try to visualise what will happen if the whole system is at rest and then someone starts pulling the "plank". As I said, it might help if you start by imagining there's no spring and the mass is on a very slippery surface.

Also note that the question talks about "compression" of the spring.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted