Where tangent line = 0 (parametric)

In summary, to find the points where the tangent line to the curve y= a sin^{3}\theta and x = acos^{3}\theta is horizontal, we must set the derivative dy/dx to 0. This can be done by using the expression dy/dx = (dy/d\theta)/(dx/d\theta) and setting both dy/d\theta and dx/d\theta to 0. However, it is important to note that in the process, we must be careful with trigonometric identities and not make mistakes such as assuming that sin\theta = 1 when in fact it can also equal -1. Therefore, it is simpler and more accurate to just use the expression dy/dx directly.
motornoob101

Homework Statement

At which point is the tanget line to the following curve horizontal?
[tex] y= a sin^{3}\theta [/tex]
[tex] x = acos^{3}\theta [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dy}{d\theta}}{\frac{dx}{d\theta}}[/tex]

When [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex], this means that that the tanget line is horizontal.

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex] when [tex]\frac{dy}{d\theta} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{d\theta} = 3asin^{2}\thetacos\theta [/tex]

[tex] 0=3asin^{2}\thetacos\theta [/tex]
[tex] 0 = sin^{2}\thetacos\theta [/tex]
[tex] 0 = (1-cos^{2}\theta)(cos\theta) [/tex]
[tex] cos\theta = 0 [/tex] when [tex] \theta = \pi/2 [/tex] and [tex]\theta = 3\pi/2[/tex]
[tex]1-cos^{2}\theta = 0 [/tex] when [tex]\theta = 0 [/tex]
We must also find where [tex]dx/d\theta =0 [/tex] since if both [tex]dy/d\theta [/tex] and [tex]dx/d\theta [/tex] = 0 at the same [tex]\theta[/tex] then we can't use that value
[tex] \frac{dx}{d\theta} = -3acos^{2}\theta sin\theta[/tex]

[tex] dx/d\theta = 0[/tex] at [tex]\theta = 0, \pi, \pi/2 [/tex]

So therefore we can't use [tex] \theta = \pi/2 [/tex] and [tex] \theta = 0 [/tex] from the [tex] dy/d\theta [/tex] expression. Thus we are left with only [tex]\theta = 3\pi/2[/tex]

If we sub [tex]\theta = 3\pi/2[/tex] back into the expression for x and y, we see that this corresponds to (0, -a), which means at (0, -a) the tangent line is horizontal.

However, this answer is wrong, the curve is an astroid and the astroid have horizontal tangets at (+/- a, 0).

I don't get what I did wrong, appreciate any help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
motornoob101 said:
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dy}{d\theta}}{\frac{dx}{d\theta}}[/tex]

When [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex], this means that that the tanget line is horizontal.

Hi motornoob! :smile:

Why didn't you stop there? :confused:

You needed [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex] , but you started examining [tex]\frac{dy}{d\theta}[/tex] instead.

Just do dy/dx = 3sin^2.cos/-3cos^2.sin = … ? :smile:

Well yeah of course I could have figured out what dy/dx is which is just [tex] -tan\theta [/tex] and go from there, but I want to know why the method where I figure out where [tex] dy/d\theta = 0 [/tex] doesn't work. It bugs me!

ah! …well this bit was wrong:
motornoob101 said:
[tex] \frac{dx}{d\theta} = -3acos^{2}\theta sin\theta[/tex]

[tex] dx/d\theta = 0[/tex] at [tex]\theta = 0, \pi, \pi/2 [/tex]

So therefore we can't use [tex] \theta = \pi/2 [/tex] and [tex] \theta = 0 [/tex] from the [tex] dy/d\theta [/tex] expression. Thus we are left with only [tex]\theta = 3\pi/2[/tex]

[tex]cos^{2}\theta sin\theta[/tex] is zero at any multiple of π/2. :smile:

Ah ok, so I think here is what I did wrong.
[tex]
\frac{dx}{d\theta} = -3acos^{2}\theta sin\theta
[/tex]

I set it to on the left side

[tex] 0 = cos^{2}\theta sin\theta [/tex]
[tex] 0= (1-sin^{2}\theta)sin\theta [/tex]

[tex] sin\theta = 0 [/tex] when [tex] \theta = 0, \pi [/tex]

[tex] 1-sin^{2}\theta =0[/tex]
[tex] sin^{2}\theta =1[/tex]

I think here I made my mistake, thinking that I can just write [tex] sin\theta = 1 [/tex] but it turns out [tex] sin\theta = +/- 1 [/tex] so [tex] \theta [/tex] here equals to [tex] \pi/2, 3\pi/2 [/tex]

So then with this corrected mistake, I see that [tex] dy/d\theta [/tex] equals to 0 at the same places that [tex] dx/d\theta[/tex] goes to 0, so therefore I must use the [tex] dy / dx [/tex] expression directly rather than playing with [tex] dy/d\theta [/tex] or [tex] dx/d\theta [/tex]

Would this reasoning be right? Thanks.

motornoob101 said:
So then with this corrected mistake, I see that [tex] dy/d\theta [/tex] equals to 0 at the same places that [tex] dx/d\theta[/tex] goes to 0, so therefore I must use the [tex] dy / dx [/tex] expression directly rather than playing with [tex] dy/d\theta [/tex] or [tex] dx/d\theta [/tex]

Would this reasoning be right? Thanks.

Absolutely! :smile:

Yay, thanks for all the help!

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at one specific point, with the same slope as the curve at that point.

2. How is a tangent line calculated?

A tangent line can be calculated by finding the derivative of the curve at the given point and using that slope to create a line that passes through the point.

3. What does it mean when the tangent line = 0?

When the tangent line is equal to 0, it means that the slope of the curve at that point is 0. This can also be interpreted as the curve having a horizontal tangent at that point.

4. How is the tangent line = 0 related to parametric equations?

In parametric equations, the tangent line = 0 is used to find the points where the curve has a horizontal tangent. This can help determine the behavior of the curve and its intersections with other curves or lines.

5. Can the tangent line = 0 exist at multiple points on a curve?

Yes, it is possible for the tangent line to equal 0 at multiple points on a curve. This can occur when the curve has a horizontal tangent at more than one point or when the curve intersects itself.