Points where tangent line touches 2 circles

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the points at which a line with positive slope is tangent to two circles. The individual provides the derivatives of the two circles and discusses using them to find the slope of the tangent line. They also suggest setting the tangent line as y=mx+c and solving for m and c. The conversation ends with a suggestion to write down equations rather than expressions.
madgab89

Homework Statement

On the circles y^2+x^2=1 and y^2+(x-3)^2=4
There is a line with positive slope that is tangent to both circles. Determine the points at which this tangent touches each circle.

Homework Equations

the derivative of the first circle i found:
y'=-x/y

the derivative of the second cirlce I found:
y'=-2x+6/2y

and also
x^2+y^2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

so I have these equations for slopes:
-x1/y1

-2x2+6/2y2

y2-y1/x2-x1

Now where do I go from here, can someone get me started with the rearranging or whatever?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I think you should do is put the tangent as y=mx+c, then solve this with y^2+x^2=1, and when you simplify it into the form ax^2+bx+c=0, b^2-4ac=0 since it is a tangent. Then do the same with y^2+(x-3)^2=4 and you will get two equations in m and c.

madgab89 said:

Homework Statement

On the circles y^2+x^2=1 and y^2+(x-3)^2=4
There is a line with positive slope that is tangent to both circles. Determine the points at which this tangent touches each circle.

Homework Equations

the derivative of the first circle i found:
y'=-x/y

the derivative of the second cirlce I found:
y'=-2x+6/2y

and also
x^2+y^2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

so I have these equations for slopes:
-x1/y1

-2x2+6/2y2

y2-y1/x2-x1

Now where do I go from here, can someone get me started with the rearranging or whatever?

I think the main problem is that you haven't written down any equations yet. Those are expressions, not equations. Put in some equal signs. Do you want to say that all of those are equal to the unknown slope m?

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a circle or curve at only one point. It is perpendicular to the radius of the circle at the point of contact.

2. How many points of tangency can a tangent line have with two circles?

Two circles can have two points of tangency with a common tangent line. However, the two circles can also have one point of tangency if they are tangent to each other.

3. Are the points of tangency always on the edge of the circles?

No, the points of tangency can also be located inside the circles or even outside the circles if the circles are disjointed.

4. Can a tangent line intersect both circles at the same point?

No, by definition, a tangent line can only touch a circle at one point. If a line intersects both circles at the same point, it is not a tangent.

5. What is the relationship between the radii of the circles and the tangent line?

The radii of the two circles and the tangent line at the point of contact form a right triangle. The distance from the point of contact to the center of each circle is equal to the radius of the circle. This relationship is known as the tangent-secant theorem.