1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Where the Angular Velocity Vector Coming From?

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1
    I know that If we have a rigid body rotating clokwise direction,the angular velocity vector should be in the into the screen.But also I know that

##w=dθ/dt## so..Whats the equation that tells us that ##\vec w## is into the screen ?

Is it coming from some vector product ? Or we know that its ##\vec R x\vec v=\vec w##

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The direction of [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] is the axis of rotation. If [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is the velocity of a point on the body, and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the vector to the center of rotation, then you can compute [itex]\omega[/itex] via:

[itex]\vec{\omega} = \frac{1}{r^2} (\vec{v} \times \vec{r})[/itex]

So it's a vector that is perpendicular to the plane containing both [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex].

4. Feb 4, 2017 #3
    why theres ##\frac {1} {r^2}## ?

I see...Is there any equation that contains ##\vec w##, ##dθ## and ##dt## ?

5. Feb 4, 2017 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, the [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex] is intuitively correct from the following reasoning: If you have circular motion, then [itex]v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T}[/itex] where [itex]T[/itex] is the time for a complete circle. So the magnitude of [itex]\vec{v} \times \vec{r}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{2 \pi r^2}{T}[/itex]. Dividing by [itex]r^2[/itex] gives [itex]\frac{2\pi}{T}[/itex] which is the same as [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex].

So the magnitude of [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] is just [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex]

You can't get the direction of [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] from [itex]d\theta[/itex] and [itex]dt[/itex]. You need to know what plane the rotation is in.

6. Feb 4, 2017 #5
    I understand now.We know that ##\vec w x \vec R= \vec v##
    so ##(\vec w x \vec R) x \vec R= \vec v x \vec R##

Which its ##\vec w (\vec R.\vec R)-\vec R (\vec w.\vec R)=\vec v x \vec R##
    ##\vec w R^2-0=\vec v x \vec R##
    ##\vec w=\frac {1} {r^2} (\vec v x \vec R)##

I just should know that ##\vec w## is founding by right hand rule and ##\vec w x \vec R= \vec v##

I see ok

7. Feb 5, 2017 #6
    This 1D equation is a simplification of the 3D description. In making this simplification θ is defined about an axis with a direction, so the direction is already implicitly in there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted