Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to purchase a 1.7 GHz Oscillator

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    Hi guys,

I was just wondering of there is any companies that manufactures a 1.7 Ghz oscillators ?

For the thing I need, I have a stable supply of voltage and I need a specfic frequencey, the one mentioned above. So a VCO, I think, is not the solution as some of you may suggest.

Please, if you now companies that do manufacture them I would greatly appreciate your help,

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the application? What power level?

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    Well the output of the oscillator will be connected to a horn antenna, and from its characteristics, the least attenuation occurs at this frequencey.

I prefer that the oscillator have a wide range of inputs and produces a correspnding output, with the freq. unchanged.

If you want a specific value, then it would be 25 watts as an output.of the oscillator.

5. Oct 23, 2009 #4
    A typical scheme is to have an LO chain or a synthesizer, and then feed it to a power amp.

there is many manufactures making these for defense, and they are quite expensive, try googling. But on ebay, you many find oscillators that are not manufactured anymore for a fraction of the cost.

some of the manufactures I'm familiar with:

macom, herley, miteq or microsource.

I don't know if they are still making "microwave bricks" that you get for any frequency.

6. Oct 23, 2009 #5

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

25 W is equal to 44 dBm, that is LOT of power for a microwave circuit. You can certainly buy power amplifiers that can do this (you can buy amplifiers meant for e.g. radar that will give you kW of power); but it is well outside what you can get out of a typical "lab" amplifer (they will typically give you 15 dBm at most).
    Hence, an amplifer like this is likely to be quite expensive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook