Where would you place a proton to produce this field at the origin?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 11K views
cowmoo32
Messages
121
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



You want to create an electric field = < 0, 5e4,0 > N/C at location < 0, 0, 0>.
Where would you place a proton to produce this field at the origin?

Homework Equations



[tex]\vec E = q\hat{r} / 4\pi\varepsilon r^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure how to treat [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] in the equation. Obviously, I know it's equal to r/rmag, but rmag is what's throwing me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cowmoo32 said:

Homework Statement



You want to create an electric field = < 0, 5e4,0 > N/C at location < 0, 0, 0>.
Where would you place a proton to produce this field at the origin?

Homework Equations



[tex]\vec E = q\hat{r} / 4\pi\varepsilon r^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure how to treat [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] in the equation. Obviously, I know it's equal to r/rmag, but rmag is what's throwing me.

An electric field is a vector field. So where you place the proton will determine both the magnitude and the direction of the electric field.
 
cowmoo32 said:
I'm not sure how to treat [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] in the equation. Obviously, I know it's equal to r/rmag, but rmag is what's throwing me.
That's just a unit vector (magnitude = 1) giving the direction of the field. The field from a positive charge is radially outward.
 
Ok, I thought that unit vector might be 1, so I solve for [tex]r^2[/tex], correct? I tried that and didn't get the right answer.
 
cowmoo32 said:
Ok, I thought that unit vector might be 1, so I solve for [tex]r^2[/tex], correct? I tried that and didn't get the right answer.

What values did you use?
 
cowmoo32 said:
5e4 = [(1.6e-19)(9e9)] / r^2

I got r = 1.69707e-7

Why do you think this is incorrect?
 
Because when I submit it online it tells me that's the wrong answer. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
 
cowmoo32 said:
Because when I submit it online it tells me that's the wrong answer. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Is it possible it's your coordinates for placing the proton? They are asking you where you would place the proton to affect this electric field vector at 0,0,0.