Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which book is the best for a beginner of condensed matter physics ?

1. Aug 25, 2006 #1
    I am a Junior in an university , majoring in Applied Physics ,and I find I have a interest in condensed matter physics ,espacially about Superconductivity ,Nanotechnology,Low temperature phases and the like ,but in my curriculum , there is no such course like this , so I want to know which book is suitable for me ?:smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2006 #2
    Itroduction to Condensed MAtter Physics. Duan & Guojun
  4. Aug 25, 2006 #3
    kittel's introduction to solid state physics is widely used.
  5. Aug 25, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

another vote for Kittel.
  6. Aug 25, 2006 #5
    Ashcroft and Mermin is very comprenshive, Kittel is excellent too
  7. Aug 25, 2006 #6
    Charles Kittles's Introduction to Solid State Physics contains the clear
    description of the concepts in traditional Solid State Physics.
    The another modern description of Condensed Matter Physics is by Michael P. Marder , it is a new and very excellent book, it contains the new development in condensed matter physics.
    Ashcroft and Mermin's book is more advanced, it seems not suitable for
    reading for junior students.
  8. Sep 4, 2006 #7
    Condensed matter physics takes a lot of funamental ideas and roles them into a theory for many-particle interacting systems. Thus to start off with a specific text book on condensed mater physics it is often difficult to see why approaches are made the way they are presented. In general you would need to know the basic of statistical mechanics and quantum theory. Combining these two subjects pretty much gives us condensed matter physics, especially if you wish to understand critical exponents and the like for description of phase transitions.
  9. Sep 6, 2006 #8
    good to here that you are interested in Superconductivity, you are a junior, study calculous first... I am studying Superconducting Physics in graduate school, maths is the most important. good luck
  10. Sep 7, 2006 #9
    I think getting a sound grounding in thermal physics and quantum physics is pretty important. Kittel is widely used but it is not necessarily the kindest book for introductory solid state physics.

"Band Theory and and Electronic Properties of Solids" by John Singleton is pretty good.
  11. Sep 11, 2006 #10
    I use marder's book. i think the presentation is very challenging. hard even for graduate students. my professor always get tutorial questions from marder's book, and they are so damn hard. just look at the exercises at the end of each chapter.
  12. Sep 14, 2006 #11
    I think Ashcroft's book present better concept for junior students
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?