Which C++ book is best for learning algorithms and data structures?

In summary, If you are looking to pursue a career in coding, it is important to study algorithms and data structures, as well as practice coding through exercises and projects. While learning C++ is a good choice, you may also want to consider learning a graphics programming library such as sfml, allegro, or sdl. In terms of learning resources, the book "Effective C++" by Scott Meyers is highly recommended, as well as his other books "More Effective C++" and "Effective Modern C++." It is important to not just read a textbook, but to actively work through exercises and projects to truly learn a subject.
shivajikobardan
1686155537799.png

1686155619753.png

As I said earlier, I've already grasped basics of C++. Since my ultimate goal is to work in coding industry, for interviews, I need to prepare for algorithms and data structures, grind leetcode. Between C++ and Java, I choosed C++ because that was taught in our university.

I won't read the first book line by line. I will start from exercises of loops and complete 20% of all exercises. It'll take at least 6 months of weekend studies for me to get there.

Another plan is to do graphics programming. The book by Tony Gaddis is so good for me. Only problem, it uses darkgdk which is very much outdated. So, if you've any recommendations for libraries in C++ like sfml, allegro, sdl, etc, Please recommend. Recommend those which is similar to darkgdk architecture. This book will also take me 6 months of full time weekend studies to finish.

Which one will be more beneficial to my learning?

Physics news on Phys.org
One does not learn a subject by reading a textbook. One learns a subject by working through a textbook.

Vanadium 50 said:
One does not learn a subject by reading a textbook. One learns a subject by working through a textbook.
that's why I've picked a book which is actually built with exercises and projects.

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a C++ book for learning algorithms and data structures?

When looking for a C++ book to learn algorithms and data structures, it is important to consider the author's experience and expertise, the book's level of difficulty and comprehensiveness, the programming language version covered, and the availability of practice exercises and examples.

2. Are there any specific C++ books that are highly recommended for learning algorithms and data structures?

Yes, there are several highly recommended C++ books for learning algorithms and data structures, including "Introduction to Algorithms" by Thomas H. Cormen, "Data Structures and Algorithms in C++" by Michael T. Goodrich, and "C++ Data Structures and Algorithms" by John Hubbard.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of C++ before learning algorithms and data structures?

While having a basic understanding of C++ can be helpful, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of the language to learn algorithms and data structures. Many books provide a brief overview of C++ before diving into the concepts of algorithms and data structures.

4. Can I learn algorithms and data structures solely from a C++ book?

While a C++ book can provide a solid foundation for learning algorithms and data structures, it is important to supplement your learning with online resources, practice exercises, and hands-on coding experience. This will help reinforce the concepts and make the learning process more interactive.

5. How long does it usually take to learn algorithms and data structures from a C++ book?

The time it takes to learn algorithms and data structures from a C++ book can vary depending on the individual's learning pace and dedication. However, on average, it can take several months to fully grasp the concepts and be able to apply them effectively in programming projects.