Which calculator to get? Ti-89, or HP49G+?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of calculators in college, specifically for a student who has placed out of calculus 1 and 2 and will be starting with multivariable calculus and differential equations. They are considering between the Ti-89 and HP49G+ and would like recommendations and explanations from someone with experience using both. Although the person summarizing has not used the HP, they can recommend the Ti-89 based on their experience with the similar TI Voyage200. They also note that the Ti-89 is more useful in electrical engineering while the HP may be better for civil/mechanical engineering.

Ti-89 or HP49G+?

• Ti-89

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • HP49G+

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
NuPowerbook
Well, this August I will be an incoming freshman at college. I placed out of calculus 1 and 2, and will be starting with multivariable calculus, and then differential equations. I am well aware that professors do not allow the use of calculators on exams, but would still like to have one for myself. Should I get the Ti-89 (regular or titanium, only difference is memory), or the HP49G+? I am asking this, because a lot of people have recently told me that the HP is better than the Ti, whereas I am used to using a Ti-89. Thanks in advance. I would prefer answers given to have an explanation, and someone with experience with both would be ideal.

Computer science news on Phys.org
To be fair, I haven't used the HP, but I can certainly recommend the TI-89.I have used the TI Voyage200, which is essentially a TI-89 with a full QWERTY alphanumerical keypad rather than an ABCDEF keypad, for over a year now, and the more I use it, the more I think it's amazingly most excellent.
Seriously, though, it is.

In electrical engineering it's much more useful a TI 89
In civil/mechanical engineering I've heard that the HP rocks

1. What are the main differences between the Ti-89 and HP49G+ calculators?

The main difference between the Ti-89 and HP49G+ calculators is the operating system they use. The Ti-89 uses the TI-OS while the HP49G+ uses the HP-49G+ OS. Other differences include the layout of the buttons and the types of functions they offer.

2. Which calculator is better for advanced mathematics and graphing?

Both the Ti-89 and HP49G+ are capable of advanced mathematics and graphing, but the Ti-89 is better known for its graphing capabilities. It has a higher resolution screen and a wider range of graphing functions compared to the HP49G+.

3. Which calculator has a better battery life?

The Ti-89 has a better battery life compared to the HP49G+. The Ti-89 uses four AAA batteries while the HP49G+ uses four AA batteries. The Ti-89 also has a power management feature that helps conserve battery life.

4. Which calculator is more user-friendly?

This is a matter of personal preference as both calculators have a learning curve. However, many users find the Ti-89 to be more user-friendly due to its familiar keyboard layout and menu system.

5. Are there any notable features that set these calculators apart from each other?

One notable feature that sets the HP49G+ apart from the Ti-89 is its ability to connect to a computer and transfer data and programs. The HP49G+ also has a built-in infrared port for wireless communication with other devices. On the other hand, the Ti-89 has a built-in USB port for data transfer and connectivity.