1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which engineer should I become?

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    Chemical - 3 years left highest starting salary. Big city school i like
    Electrical - 2 years left 60k starting salary. Big city school i like
    Mining - 2.5 years left 65k starting salary. Small city meh

I am interested in all three if you wanna advise to chose the one I am most interested in. Seems like biotech is gonna be the next big industry, chem eng might help me in that. Also I guess chem engs also utilized in mining industry. Right now I am going with electrical. Electrical also seems to be one of those universal engineering degrees that is useful virtually in all industries. Both are needed also if I wanna eventually supervise and own my own factory. Mining: really good placement after graduation. I am kinda interested in moving to a third world country and do a mine. I could swallow living in hick small town for 2 years. All three is workable thus starting salary and opportunities are important.

Or should I stick with EE and go for Chem E and then MS in mining? Then I'd be 32. Mind you I am going for 26 this year. Yes, started college late.

I am not gonna ask what I need to do cus you won't be able to answer.

What would YOU choose? and why

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2010 #2
    How will you finish an EE degree so much quicker than a ChemE degree?

4. Sep 30, 2010 #3
    btw, I'm a ChemE, but that's due in part to my home province (Alberta = oil sands = I can make money without having to move).

5. Sep 30, 2010 #4
    I have 65 credits left for EE degree

For ChemE maybe 85

6. Sep 30, 2010 #5

fss

I would go with whatever field I enjoyed the most and (hopefully) was best at.

7. Oct 2, 2010 #6
    Im a ChemE, I would say Chemical is equally "universal" as electrical, probably even more so. You really can do everything with it.

8. Oct 2, 2010 #7
    I wouldnt choose this. You are going to be doing whatever job you choose for 40 years. If you "could swallow living in hick small town for 2 years" it really doesnt seem like you are that into it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook