Which Engineering Path Aligns Best with My Career and Lifestyle Goals?

• Thread starter SELFMADE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of pursuing a degree in Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Mining Engineering. The starting salaries and job opportunities for each field are considered, as well as the potential for future career growth and personal interests. The speaker is interested in all three fields, but ultimately wants to choose the one they are most passionate about and best suited for. They also mention the possibility of obtaining a Master's degree in either Chemical Engineering or Mining Engineering after completing their degree in Electrical Engineering, but express concern about the age at which they would finish their education. The conversation ends with the advice to choose the field that the speaker enjoys and excels in the most, rather than just considering practical factors.
SELFMADE
Chemical - 3 years left highest starting salary. Big city school i like
Electrical - 2 years left 60k starting salary. Big city school i like
Mining - 2.5 years left 65k starting salary. Small city meh

I am interested in all three if you want to advise to chose the one I am most interested in. Seems like biotech is going to be the next big industry, chem eng might help me in that. Also I guess chem engs also utilized in mining industry. Right now I am going with electrical. Electrical also seems to be one of those universal engineering degrees that is useful virtually in all industries. Both are needed also if I want to eventually supervise and own my own factory. Mining: really good placement after graduation. I am kinda interested in moving to a third world country and do a mine. I could swallow living in hick small town for 2 years. All three is workable thus starting salary and opportunities are important.

Or should I stick with EE and go for Chem E and then MS in mining? Then I'd be 32. Mind you I am going for 26 this year. Yes, started college late.

I am not going to ask what I need to do cus you won't be able to answer.

What would YOU choose? and why

Physics news on Phys.org
How will you finish an EE degree so much quicker than a ChemE degree?

btw, I'm a ChemE, but that's due in part to my home province (Alberta = oil sands = I can make money without having to move).

General_Sax said:
How will you finish an EE degree so much quicker than a ChemE degree?

I have 65 credits left for EE degree

For ChemE maybe 85

I would go with whatever field I enjoyed the most and (hopefully) was best at.

Im a ChemE, I would say Chemical is equally "universal" as electrical, probably even more so. You really can do everything with it.

SELFMADE said:
Mining: really good placement after graduation. I am kinda interested in moving to a third world country and do a mine. I could swallow living in hick small town for 2 years.

I wouldn't choose this. You are going to be doing whatever job you choose for 40 years. If you "could swallow living in hick small town for 2 years" it really doesn't seem like you are that into it.

FAQ: Which Engineering Path Aligns Best with My Career and Lifestyle Goals?

1. What is the difference between a mechanical engineer and an electrical engineer?

A mechanical engineer designs and builds physical systems and devices, such as engines and machines. An electrical engineer, on the other hand, focuses on designing and developing systems that use electricity, such as power grids and electronic devices. They both use principles of physics and mathematics, but their specific applications and skill sets differ.

2. Which engineering field has the most job opportunities?

It ultimately depends on the current job market and industry demand, but in recent years, the fields of software engineering, computer engineering, and civil engineering have seen significant growth in job opportunities. However, it is important to choose a field that aligns with your interests and skills, rather than solely based on job availability.

3. Is it better to pursue a general engineering degree or specialize in a specific field?

Both options have their advantages. A general engineering degree allows for a broader understanding of various engineering principles and applications, making it easier to switch between different fields and industries. Specializing in a specific field, however, can provide more in-depth knowledge and expertise, leading to higher job opportunities and salaries in that particular field.

4. What skills are necessary to become a successful engineer?

Some essential skills for engineers include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work well in teams. Additionally, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software and excellent communication skills are also crucial for success in the field.

5. How can I determine which engineering field is right for me?

One way is to research and explore different engineering fields and their applications to see which ones interest you the most. You can also speak with professionals in different fields to gain insight into their work and ask about their experiences. Additionally, internships or job shadowing experiences can also provide valuable hands-on experience to help you make a more informed decision.

Back