1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which harmonics would be observed on an electric guitar?

1. Dec 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric guitar radiates very little sound directly, but instead relies upon pick-ups (transducers) placed beneath the strings. Establish, showing clearly how you reach your answer, which harmonics of the open string you are likely to observe if the pick-ups are placed.
    1)close to the bridge of the guitar.
    2)around the mid-point of the strings
    3)a quarter of the way from the bridge to the nut
    4)##98 mm## from the bridge, when the length of the open string is ##648 mm##
    2. Relevant equations
    ##n\lambda/2=L##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not totally sure what to do for all the above parts but I've derived the equation above to help me get the number of the harmonic I would observe. At a guess i'd say that the transducers give nodes so from that I can deduce n which would give me the number of the harmonic. Is that the right idea or am I totally wrong?
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may want to reconsider that (see here)
    When in doubt, make sketches

4. Dec 4, 2017 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

The pick-up works when the string just above it is moving.
    Sketch the modes of vibration of a string, and check whether there will be a node (the string not moving) where the pick-up is.
    Note: You said "At a guess i'd say that the transducers give nodes". On the contrary, the transducer will only detect/produce sound where there isn't a node.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted