Which if any chatity do you support

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, the conversation discusses various charities and the speakers' opinions on which ones are the most effective and deserving of support. Some of the mentioned charities include local food banks and shelters, the Salvation Army, the Red Cross, and the United Bikers of Maine's Toys for Tots program. The speakers also mention the importance of researching charities before donating and the idea of donating items or supplies instead of money. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of making informed decisions when supporting charitable causes.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Which if any chatity do you support, i have made up my mind to support just
one, but which one, they all seem so needy, i do not want to throw my money into a bottomless pit, which one has the minimum (overheads) and
payed staff ? does the most good .

Physics news on Phys.org
I support only my local food banks and shelters for children. If a special need should arise from, say a house fire. I buy food and clothing vouchers and give them right to the family.
I also donate blood when I am able.

Yeah that's actually pretty good to do 'cause with those sorts of charities you know that a good portion of your money is actually going to the cause.

I don't believe in any of the big charities 'cause I think that they only invest a small portion of your money to the cause. I especially despise World Vision.
There are hardly any good charities out there and you really need to do your research on them.

At the moment I just donate blood when possible, but there is one charity that my friend said he'd get the information on. It is meant to be pretty good with actually using most of the donated money directly for the cause.

My wife and I support the Salvation Army, since they seem to be the people doing the most good around here. I wouldn't give a dime to the Red Cross - they are bloated and useless. We also support the United Bikers of Maine's Toys for Tots program and the local animal shelter. I made the mistake of sending a generous check to the Salvation Army for Katrina relief - now they send letters asking for money regularly. I should have stuck to making anonymous cash contributions - they would get just as much money from us anyway, and they wouldn't have to pay for printing and postage for the form letters.

If you like the animal shelter idea, call the shelter and ask them what they need most. I can tell you that when you show up with a load of expensive stuff that they use a lot (disinfectants and cleaning supplies, for instance), they are really happy. Every dollar you save them means that they might be able to hold out a bit longer to try to place a stray in a home, instead of euthanizing him.

Last edited:
I donated blood for the first time ever today. I don't support any charities yet though as I'm just a student still...heck I'm a charity case myself...j/k

1. What is the purpose of supporting a charity?

The purpose of supporting a charity is to make a positive impact and help those in need. Charities work towards various causes such as providing aid to disadvantaged communities, supporting medical research, or protecting the environment. By supporting a charity, you are contributing to making the world a better place.

2. How do I choose which charity to support?

Choosing a charity to support can be a personal decision based on your values and beliefs. You can research different charities and their causes to find one that resonates with you. You can also consider the impact and effectiveness of the charity, as well as their financial transparency and accountability.

3. Can I support more than one charity?

Yes, you can support multiple charities at the same time. In fact, many people choose to divide their donations among different charities to support various causes. However, it is important to ensure that you are able to financially support all the charities you choose to avoid overextending yourself.

4. How do I support a charity aside from making donations?

There are many ways to support a charity aside from making monetary donations. You can volunteer your time and skills, spread awareness about the charity and their cause, or participate in fundraising events. You can also donate goods or services that may benefit the charity or the community they serve.

5. Is there a minimum amount I should donate to a charity?

There is no set minimum amount for donations to a charity. Any amount, no matter how small, can make a difference. However, it is important to donate within your means and not put yourself in a financially difficult situation. Every little bit helps, and charities appreciate any form of support they receive.