Which is better for low rpm power generation: generator or alternator?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
MagneticMan
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello there everyone.

I was wondering about low rpm power generation.
Is it better to get an alternator or a generator?

I've been reading about both but I'm still a little confused about which would be best suited.
This is going to be for a wind turbine. So the rpm and the power will be pretty low.
My area has wind but not all that strong. 5-10 mph is about all we get here on a regular basis.
Unless there is a storm. Lol

Thanks in advance
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
well an alternator is also a generator as it generates electricity it is just called alternator because it produces AC.
Now many generators have a commutator which is the part where the electric contact is provided for the rotor windings which requires a sliding contact which does wear out with time.

Now if your application is as you say low power , I would buy an alternator which has permanent magnets in the rotor or is otherways brushless.

there are basically dc and ac generators.
Alternator is an ac generator (commonly understood as a smaller one like in cars etc.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Haewigh
The OP is a previously banned member, thread closed.