Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is better for structural support PVC pipe or plywood?

Tags:
  1. Jan 15, 2017 #21
    I want to minimize the weight as much as possible at this point since the other materials are going to make it fairly heavy and I'll post sketches of it tomorrow

2. Jan 16, 2017 #22
    How do I post a drawing?

3. Jan 16, 2017 #23

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

In the lower right corner of the window where you type your reply, there is an UPLOAD button. It will help you upload the file from your computer to the PF.

4. Jan 16, 2017 #24
    Oh, well I feel dumb now xD And I had to kind of just sketch it on google paint but my plan is to have one solid support base and beam, then the wings can be slide on or off if it needs to be moved or repaired

Attached Files:

5. Jan 16, 2017 #25

berkeman

So the support structure is the "T" in your sketch? And the load is the brown hanging part?

6. Jan 16, 2017 #26
    That is correct or that's how I thought it should be made. Do you have an idea for a better way to do it?

7. Jan 16, 2017 #27

berkeman

Triangles are usually better than "T"s. What kind of bracing can you add at the right angle joins? Evem better.can you design it as a triangle support or a rectangular support?

8. Jan 16, 2017 #28
    You mean something like this?

Attached Files:

9. Jan 17, 2017 #29
    Oh wait OK let me totally rephrase this. Under a bending stress which can sustain more stress an equilateral triangle, a square, or a circle assuming the height of the triangle, side length of the square and the diameter of the circle are all the same value. I think this is what I should have been asking from the beginning

10. Jan 17, 2017 #30

berkeman

Bending which way? Can you upload a 3-D perspective drawing of what you are wanting to do?

11. Jan 17, 2017 #31
    Just a weight placed right in the middle like if there's a tube, a box beam and a hollow triangular structure each a meter long with the same wall thickness, held at either end and each with a force pressing down on the center. Which could withstand the most force?

Edit: And so sorry, I can't upload a 3D image

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  12. Jan 18, 2017 #32

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Best support for that kind of structure is a pair of shaped plywood cuttings with spacers between .

13. Jan 18, 2017 #33
    Shaped how?

14. Jan 18, 2017 #34
    oh so an anvil shape but would it hold out with 3m on either side and all the weight?

15. Jan 18, 2017 #35

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see that you have added some new dimensional information to one of your posts since I first read it .

To have cantilevered platforms as long as 3 metres on a narrow central support pillar is not a realistic proposition .

Possibilities :

Use three or more support pillars with metal bracing at intermediate and end locations .

Use multiple trestle leg supports under the whole lengths of the platforms - probably much easier for you anyway .

16. Jan 18, 2017 #36
    Ok hmm I suppose I could try making support for the ends that could be placed after the wings

17. Jan 18, 2017 #37

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you fix the construction to a wall ?

18. Jan 18, 2017 #38
    No, I was planning on it to be mobile

19. May 24, 2017 #39
    KISS IS THE EQUATION- you can build a bow -archery type- out of pvc -good luck with plywood.

20. May 24, 2017 #40
    I'd be very reluctant to build anything from PVC if I wanted it to last a long time. PVC is a plastic type material and deforms plastically with the passage of time. Plywood has some of the same problems, but to a much lesser degree in most situations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted