Which is the airfoil having highest lift to drag ratio?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of airfoil designs and the speaker's request for information on the airfoil with the highest lift to drag ratio. The conversation also touched on the challenges of creating a high lift airfoil and the recommendation to research NACA aerofoils and high performance gliders. The B-2 blended wing body design was also mentioned as a potential solution, but with the added difficulty of controlling it.
sr241
I working on a new airfoil design. Please tell me the airfoil having highest lift to drag ratio, I need it for comparison.

Physics news on Phys.org
You realize there are hundreds and hundreds of airfoil designs, right?

I doubt anyone knows that off the top of their head, and you can research it as easily as any of us.

if you could tell me at least which series then it will be very helpful

where can i get coordinate files of wings of sail planes or coordinate files of laminar flow wings. please tell me the names of these wings

There occurs various hybrid wings; however currently the most researched is Morphing Wings

sr241 said:
I working on a new airfoil design. Please tell me the airfoil having highest lift to drag ratio, I need it for comparison.

Search NACA aerofoils one of them is NACA 64A309 Hydrofoils,try analysing different NACA aerofoils in XFLR5 software, its free easy to use..

Last edited:
thanks

high lift airfoils that are commonly used in aerodesign competition is the Selig 1223 and Epler 423, due to the great lift to drag ratio...

Good luck controlling a blended wing body design though. You need sophisticated, computerized control systems to successfully keep such designs airborne and stable.

OP, research the airfoils used by high performance gliders...

boneh3ad said:
Good luck controlling a blended wing body design though. You need sophisticated, computerized control systems to successfully keep such designs airborne and stable.

you got that right:)

1. What is an airfoil?

An airfoil is a shape designed to produce lift when air flows over it. It is commonly used in the design of wings for airplanes and other aerodynamic structures.

2. What is lift to drag ratio?

Lift to drag ratio is a measure of an airfoil's efficiency in generating lift compared to the amount of drag it produces. It is calculated by dividing the lift force by the drag force.

3. How is lift to drag ratio affected by airfoil shape?

The shape of an airfoil plays a crucial role in determining its lift to drag ratio. A well-designed airfoil with a streamlined shape and smooth surface will have a higher lift to drag ratio compared to a poorly designed airfoil with a rough surface.

4. Which airfoil has the highest lift to drag ratio?

The airfoil with the highest lift to drag ratio currently is the NACA 0012 airfoil. It has a symmetric shape, smooth surface, and a high maximum lift coefficient, making it ideal for high-speed applications.

5. How can the lift to drag ratio of an airfoil be improved?

The lift to drag ratio of an airfoil can be improved by optimizing its shape, reducing surface roughness, and using advanced materials. Additionally, factors such as angle of attack, airspeed, and Reynolds number also play a role in determining the lift to drag ratio of an airfoil.