Force components acting on an airfoil

• Thread starter FEAnalyst
  • Start date

Summary:

Are these formulas for lift and drag correct ?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I have a simple question but I want to be 100% sure that my reasoning is correct. Take a look at this picture showing forces acting on an airfoil:

airfoil forces.PNG

Green forces (X and Y components) are known from CFD software but I need the values of blue components (lift and drag). Of course for zero angle of attack they will be equal to each other but I need formulas for nonzero angle. In the literature I've found the following equation for lift: $$F_{L}=F_{X} \sin{\alpha} - F_{Y} \cos{\alpha}$$ From this I figured out the formula for drag: $$F_{D}=F_{X} \cos{\alpha} + F_{Y} \sin{\alpha}$$ Are these equations correct ? If not then how they should look like ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Answers and Replies

Y axis should be inverted in diagram above for equation you provide to be correct.

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
It's always the part that one is most confident about that turns out to be wrong. So be careful of any "of course" statements. :>)

Thanks for reply. Is the first formula (for lift) correct and second one (for drag) wrong ? Could you tell me what should be changed ? Only sign so that it becomes ##F_{D}=F_{X} \cos{\alpha}- F_{Y} \sin{\alpha}## ?

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Either change your diagram or change every sign of ##F_Y## in your equations.

PS. Always test the cases of ##\alpha=0## and ##\alpha=90## to make sure that your sign convention is correct.

So, just to make sure, for the diagram I attached to my first post the correct formulas are: ##F_{L}=F_{X} \sin{\alpha}+ F_{Y} \cos{\alpha}## and ##F_{D}=F_{X} \cos{\alpha}- F_{Y} \sin{\alpha}##, right ?

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Looks good to me.

Thank you very much. Apparently there was an error in the article where I’ve found the first formula which confused me and I couldn’t figure out how to derive it.

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Thank you very much. Apparently there was an error in the article where I’ve found the first formula which confused me and I couldn’t figure out how to derive it.
Any time you get such an equation from a different source, the chances are good that they do not use the same coordinates and sign convention. So you must make the appropriate conversions.