Which kind of function is this?

• I
  • Thread starter Jarvis323
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of guessing the functions that generated a given set of data and the most interesting function of x,y,z. It also mentions the idea of using 3-D fractals as a potential function, but acknowledges that functions cannot be multi-valued. The conversation also mentions the use of simple algorithms and input parameter sets to produce complex patterns, such as in Stephen Wolfram's "A New Kind of Science". Finally, it discusses the patterns produced by using the remainder function, specifically fmod(i*j*k, r) for different values of r.
Jarvis323
I'm curious how close someone could get to guessing the functions that generated the data shown below. And also, without looking at the plot, what do you think would be the most interesting looking function of x,y,z you can think of.

A)

function.png

B)

function2.png

C)

function3.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd vote for some 3-D fractal, like this one maybe:
curling_up_by_batjorge-1024-768x768.jpg

edit: I guess this isn't a function though. More like an algorithm. Functions can't be multi-valued, right? Plus maybe you mean 4-D; "a function of x,y,z". Anyway, I like the pictures.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Jarvis323 and pinball1970
Likes Jarvis323
They're each some functions that combine sinusoidal and the mod function.

It's pretty interesting to me the patterns the come from just taking the remainder.

Each of these are just fmod( i*j*k, r ) for different r.

fmod-3.png

fmod-6.png
mod-8.png

mode2.png

mode.png

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two sets of values, typically denoted as x and y. It takes an input value and produces an output value based on a specific rule or equation.

2. How do you identify the type of function?

The type of function can be determined by examining the equation or graph. Common types of functions include linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear function?

A linear function has a constant rate of change and produces a straight line when graphed. A nonlinear function, on the other hand, does not have a constant rate of change and can produce curves or other shapes when graphed.

4. Can a function have more than one input?

Yes, a function can have multiple inputs. This is known as a multivariable function, and it takes multiple independent variables and produces a single output value.

5. How are functions used in real-life applications?

Functions are used in many real-life applications, such as predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, analyzing financial data, and designing structures in engineering. They can also be used to describe natural phenomena and make predictions about future events.