Which Major Should I Choose for Astrophysics Professor Career?

In summary, if you want to be an astrophysics professor, you should focus on getting a strong foundation in physics and taking electives in math.
Thank you. I've concluded that taking the math first and staying one semester ahead in the math is going to be best for me. So, in that case, wouldn't a math major be in order over a physics major?

Physics news on Phys.org
At this point you are only looking for answers that will validate your choices. Moderators please lock thread.

Likes Wrichik Basu
MidgetDwarf said:
At this point you are only looking for answers that will validate your choices. Moderators please lock thread.
What kind of answers should I look for?

Thai said:
Thank you. I've concluded that taking the math first and staying one semester ahead in the math is going to be best for me. So, in that case, wouldn't a math major be in order over a physics major?
No.

Likes Thai
MidgetDwarf said:
Maybe premature conclusionedit: Then after seeing post #38, "on the other hand,...?"

Thai said:
What kind of answers should I look for?
..., on second thought,...?

You're wondering what to do among Mathematics and Physics courses for an interest in Physics or Astrophysics, and you are figuring you might want to become a professor of Astrophysics or Physics.

Start with studies for major field of Physics. Along the way study more than just the minimum Mathematics officially listed for whatever program you enter for study. Certainly begin some of the necessary Mathematics before the first required Physics course.

Thai said:
Based on your conclusion, I can't help but wonder if you understand what a major is.

symbolipoint said:
No.
symbolipoint said:
No.
Why? Right now I think I want to be an astrophysicist and want to head for that, but stay as general as possible in case I change my mind in the future. Doesn't a math major do that better for me right now than a physics major?

vela said:
Based on your conclusion, I can't help but wonder if you understand what a major is.
I think a major is the primary discipline in higher education, and that since physics uses math, a math major should be the primary discipline for me before I become committed to a discipline. I don't have any experience in any of this and that's why I'm looking for input.

symbolipoint said:
..., on second thought,...?

You're wondering what to do among Mathematics and Physics courses for an interest in Physics or Astrophysics, and you are figuring you might want to become a professor of Astrophysics or Physics.

Start with studies for major field of Physics. Along the way study more than just the minimum Mathematics officially listed for whatever program you enter for study. Certainly begin some of the necessary Mathematics before the first required Physics course.
Right now I want to be a professor of astrophysics. I'll be starting higher education in fall 2023. I'm wondering what major I should declare just in case I change my mind later to some other career. Why wouldn't I start with a math major and study physics along the way since math is the tool of physics and math is more general than physics?

Thai said:
I think a major is the primary discipline in higher education, and that since physics uses math, a math major should be the primary discipline for me before I become committed to a discipline. I don't have any experience in any of this and that's why I'm looking for input.
What I said in post #41 is probably the best general advice for you.

Physics as a major field uses Mathematics both as a language and as a tool (or set of tools).

symbolipoint said:
What I said in post #41 is probably the best general advice for you.

Physics as a major field uses Mathematics both as a language and as a tool (or set of tools).
Thank you for the advice. Are you advising that I major in physics and take math along the way. If so, how do you think that leaves more options open to me later if I change my mind about becoming an astrophysicist? Why don't you think majoring in math and taking physics along the way would be a better option for me at this point?

Thai said:
Majoring in math doesn't mean you're going to take a few math classes until you decide what to do. It means you're committing to a program of studying mathematics over four years. You are committing to a discipline, not leaving your options open.

You probably have the option not to declare a major right away. I would suggest you delay choosing a major until you've had a chance to study various subjects in college and can then make an informed decision about what field interests you most.

Likes PhDeezNutz and Thai
vela said:
Majoring in math doesn't mean you're going to take a few math classes until you decide what to do. It means you're committing to a program of studying mathematics over four years. You are committing to a discipline, not leaving your options open.

You probably have the option not to declare a major right away. I would suggest you delay choosing a major until you've had a chance to study various subjects in college and can then make an informed decision about what field interests you most.
Thank you for reminding me about the undeclared major option. What a relief! (What I meant by 'committed' was that I think a math major leaves me with more options than a physics major if I were to declare a major. No?)

Thai said:
What I meant by 'committed' was that I think a math major leaves me with more options than a physics major if I were to declare a major. No?
Not really. When I was in college, the math classes physics majors and math majors had to take the first two years were very similar: calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Physics majors would have also taken introductory physics while most math majors would not. Near the end of the sophomore year, if a physics major decided to change to math, he or she would have already satisfied the pre-requisites for upper-division math courses and could take them on schedule the following year. On the other hand, a math major, having avoided intro physics, would not be able to enroll in many upper-division physics courses. They would have had to go back and take the three semesters of intro physics.

Likes gwnorth, Thai and jtbell
OP: If you want to keep your options as open as possible, you should major in religious studies. When you need to make a decision, you can seek divine guidance. The evolution of this thread indicates that human guidance isn't sufficient for you.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes malawi_glenn, MidgetDwarf, Vanadium 50 and 4 others
Oh, you're all just jealous because you didn't score "off the charts" on some on-line test of "fluid reasoning". Probably too buys with, I dunno, actual careers, in physics.

• Haha
Likes MidgetDwarf and PhDeezNutz
vela said:
Not really. When I was in college, the math classes physics majors and math majors had to take the first two years were very similar: calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Physics majors would have also taken introductory physics while most math majors would not. Near the end of the sophomore year, if a physics major decided to change to math, he or she would have already satisfied the pre-requisites for upper-division math courses and could take them on schedule the following year. On the other hand, a math major, having avoided intro physics, would not be able to enroll in many upper-division physics courses. They would have had to go back and take the three semesters of intro physics.
CrysPhys said:
OP: If you want to keep your options as open as possible, you should major in religious studies. When you need to make a decision, you can seek divine guidance. The evolution of this thread indicates that human guidance isn't sufficient for you.
Thanks. I'm not seeking guidance. I'm seeking food for thought.

OP it seems like you want the perfect answer ahead of time to account for all the things that could happen. None of us (including yourself) can tell the future perfectly and how our interests may change.

It seems like you want a perfect roadmap to account for all contingencies. Such a thing has never existed for ANY human being EVER.

Dabble in both fields and then decide.

I’m not trying to condescend but if you wait for the perfect plan life will pass you by.

Likes Thai
Vanadium 50 said:
Oh, you're all just jealous because you didn't score "off the charts" on some on-line test of "fluid reasoning". Probably too buys with, I dunno, actual careers, in physics.
Two years ago, my school district gave me a full psychoeducational assessment. I was found to be strong in all areas, highly creative, and outside the curve on fluid reasoning for 9th graders. I am now in 11th grade and starting higher education next fall.

PhDeezNutz said:
OP it seems like you want the perfect answer ahead of time to account for all the things that could happen. None of us (including yourself) can tell the future perfectly and how our interests may change.

It seems like you want a perfect roadmap to account for all contingencies. Such a thing has never existed for ANY human being EVER.

Dabble in both fields and then decide.

I’m not trying to condescend but if you wait for the perfect plan life will pass you by.
I know there is no turning back. I'm just trying to reduce obstacles.

Thank you everybody. I've decided to not declare a major and play around a little longer.

Thai said:
Two years ago, my school district gave me a full psychoeducational assessment. I was found to be strong in all areas, highly creative, and outside the curve on fluid reasoning for 9th graders. I am now in 11th grade and starting higher education next fall.
Aside from psychological, personality, temperaments, and "psychoeducational assessments", you are the person who should (hopefully) best understand yourself, the real you. What are your interests? What are you skills? At grade 11, you have some time for deciding. Meanwhile, you believe (and are likely correct) that you are interested in Astrophysics.

Other courses you study may also influence your decisions in the future. To continue right now, your sooner direction could well be, enter admittance to university and choose some physical science (Physics?) for your major field.

symbolipoint said:
What are your interests?
This is key. After 58 posts, we still have no inkling of why the OP wants to become an astrophysics professor. Typically in threads of this nature, the OP would have posted something along the lines of:

(1) My dad bought me a telescope for my birthday. I looked to the heavens and was filled with awe. I want to become an astrophysicist.

(2) I went to the science museum on a school field trip. The highlight of my day was the planetarium. I looked to the heavens and was filled with awe. I want to become an astrophysicist.

(3) (In days gone by) I saw Carl Sagan on TV. He's a real cool guy. I want to become an astrophysicist just like him.

(4) (In present days) I saw Neil deGrasse Tyson on TV. He's a real cool guy. I want to become an astrophysicist just like him.

Then we could have had a realistic discussion of all the preparation and hard work it takes to become an astrophysicist.

But from the OP we've gotten zilch about what inspires him. All we've gotten is how imaginative and creative he is; and, most importantly, how off the chart his fluid reasoning score is.

So, OP, let's assume that you are imaginative, creative, and gifted with off-the-chart fluid reasoning. What are you going to do with those innate talents? What have you actually done to explore what does and what does not ignite your passion?

Likes PhDeezNutz, berkeman and phinds
Thai said:
Which means nothing in the grand scheme of things, if you cannot interpret the simple responses in this thread.

Likes berkeman
Thai said:
Thread is paused for a bit. I will try to rescuscitate it with IV fluids, but no promises right now...

Thai said:
Thank you everybody. I've decided to not declare a major and play around a little longer.
Update -- it sounds like you have plenty of time to decide which course to pursue. Keep talking to your local school counselors and advisors, since they will know you the best. Best of luck; the thread will remain closed. Thank you everybody for the good quality advice to the OP.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz