Which makes A to be nonsingular

• Thread starter loli12
  • Start date
In summary, when A is singular, it implies that adj(A) is also singular based on the fact that A*adj(A)=det(A)*I and if A is singular, then det(A)=0, therefore A*adj(A)=0, which means adj(A) is also singular. This is also true in the opposite direction, making adj(A) and A equivalent in terms of singularity.
loli12
Ques: Show that if A is singular then adj A is also singular. Given that I = [1/ det(A)]*A*adj (A)
I tried to prove it by assuming adj(A) is nonsingular. so, [1/det(A)]*adj(A) is nonsingular, as well as I. Which makes A to be nonsingular. I feel like I am forcing out this proof. So, do you guys have any good suggestion to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If A is invertible, then there is a B such that AB=1, that alos implies that B is invertible...

loli12 said:
Ques: Show that if A is singular then adj A is also singular. Given that I = [1/ det(A)]*A*adj (A)
I tried to prove it by assuming adj(A) is nonsingular. so, [1/det(A)]*adj(A) is nonsingular, as well as I. Which makes A to be nonsingular. I feel like I am forcing out this proof. So, do you guys have any good suggestion to this?

When you write [1/det(A)]*adj(A) you are assuming that det(A) is not zero and A is non-singular.

In all cases A*adj(A)=det(A)*I. If A is singular, then det(A)=0. In other words, A*adj(A)=0. What does this say about adj(A)?

thanks guys, but i still have a ques.. (sure this is easy for you guys) so you are saying if A is singular and A*adj(A)=0 then it implies that adj(A) is also singular? how can that be?

Suppose BC=0, where B and C are both square and non-zero.

If C is non-singular, then multiply by C^(-1) to get:

B*C*C^(-1)=0*C^(-1)

or

B=0, contradicting assumption of B non-zero

If B is nonsingular multiply by B^(-1) on the left and get C=0.

Therefore both B and C must be singular.

Hi,

Maybe a late reply, but since I was also looking for a proof to this (got stuck at the BC = 0 thing), just wanted to say thanks! :smile:

Btw, for those interested: the opposite is also true (Adj A is singular => A is singular) and much easier to prove obviously.

Related to Which makes A to be nonsingular

1. What does it mean for A to be nonsingular?

When A is referred to as nonsingular, it means that the matrix A has a determinant that is not equal to 0. This implies that the matrix is invertible and has a unique solution to the system of equations it represents.

2. How is the singularity of a matrix determined?

The singularity of a matrix is determined by calculating its determinant. If the determinant is equal to 0, then the matrix is singular, and if the determinant is not equal to 0, then the matrix is nonsingular.

3. What is the significance of a nonsingular matrix?

A nonsingular matrix is significant because it represents a system of equations that has a unique solution. This makes it easier to solve for unknown variables and makes the system more stable.

4. Can a matrix be both singular and nonsingular?

No, a matrix cannot be both singular and nonsingular. It is either one or the other, depending on the value of its determinant.

5. How can a singular matrix be made nonsingular?

To make a singular matrix nonsingular, it is necessary to perform a row operation on the matrix that results in a nonzero determinant. This can be achieved by swapping rows, multiplying a row by a nonzero constant, or adding a multiple of one row to another row.