Which method has better noise immunity for connecting a PLC to an office PC?

• Thread starter ws0619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, the ethernet cable would be the better option for reducing data sending errors due to its transformer coupling and better noise immunity, especially in an environment with high current cables and heat sources.
ws0619
Hi,
I want to connect my PLC at the control panel board to my office PC.

There are two ways available for me to connect it. One is by using RS485 and one is by ethernet cable.

The main concern is the cable has to travel for a far distance, about 7.8meter and the environment is full of high current cable and also hot oven.

Which one is better in reducing data sending error?

Please enlighten me.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
ws0619 said:
Hi,
I want to connect my PLC at the control panel board to my office PC.

There are two ways available for me to connect it. One is by using RS485 and one is by ethernet cable.

The main concern is the cable has to travel for a far distance, about 7.8meter and the environment is full of high current cable and also hot oven.

Which one is better in reducing data sending error?

Please enlighten me.
Thanks!

Ethernet is transformer coupled, so it will have much better noise immunity. RS-485 is DC-connected, so all of the devices connected to the RS-485 network need to have a common ground.

Related to Which method has better noise immunity for connecting a PLC to an office PC?

1. What is the main difference between RS485 and ethernet cable?

The main difference between RS485 and ethernet cable is the way they transmit data. RS485 uses a differential signal, while ethernet cable uses a single-ended signal. This means that RS485 is more resistant to noise and can transmit data over longer distances.

2. Which one is better for industrial applications: RS485 or ethernet cable?

It depends on the specific needs of the application. If the application requires data transmission over long distances and in noisy environments, RS485 is a better choice. However, if the application requires high-speed data transmission, ethernet cable may be a better option.

3. Can RS485 and ethernet cable be used together?

Yes, they can be used together, but a converter or interface is needed to convert the signals from one to the other. This is often done in industrial settings where both types of cables are used for different purposes.

4. What are the advantages of using RS485 over ethernet cable?

One advantage of using RS485 is its ability to transmit data over longer distances. It also has a higher resistance to noise, making it more reliable in industrial settings. Additionally, RS485 is a simpler and more cost-effective solution for applications that do not require high-speed data transmission.

5. Are there any disadvantages of RS485 compared to ethernet cable?

One disadvantage of RS485 is its lower data transfer rate compared to ethernet cable. This can be a limitation for applications that require high-speed data transmission. Additionally, RS485 requires more complex wiring and termination, which can add to the overall cost and complexity of the system.