Which One-Hit Wonder Band's Song Gives You a Natural Rush?
- Thread starter Loren Booda
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
71 replies · 14K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Ratzinger
- 291
- 0
"What you won't do for love" Bobby Caldwell
"Drinking in L.A." Bran Van
"Rock your baby" George McCrae
"Tainted Love" Soft Cell
"Drinking in L.A." Bran Van
"Rock your baby" George McCrae
"Tainted Love" Soft Cell
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
Yes, he had a lot, but I don't know if they made it outside of Canada. There was, for example, 'Concrete Sea'. I assume that you were talking about 'Seasons in the Sun'. He and Susan Jacks also comprised The Poppy Family, which had a few.arildno said:Did Terry Jacks have a lot of hits?
I know only of one..
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
Soeur Sourire with Dominique.
This woman was a Belgian nun who scored a one hit wonder with "Dominique". This song was a hughe success in the US. If you hear it, you will certainly recognize it.
Ohh, yes, she comitted suicide afterwards...
regards
marlon
This woman was a Belgian nun who scored a one hit wonder with "Dominique". This song was a hughe success in the US. If you hear it, you will certainly recognize it.
Ohh, yes, she comitted suicide afterwards...
regards
marlon
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
Nothing. It's a commentary on urban life.arildno said:What's so romantic about a sea made out of concrete?
I don't get it.
(chorus)
No one was meant to be
Living here in this concrete sea
Everyone including me
Wishes that we could be set free
Last edited:
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
arildno said:And, marlon: "J'aime, j'aime la vie" WAS a hit, the singer (if you can call her that) IS Belgian, however much you want to suppress those facts..![]()
Arrgh Sandra Kim...err what can i say ?...She is imaginary
regards
marlon, damned Eurovision Songfestival
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
Danger said:Nothing. It's a commentary on urban life.
(chorus)
No one was meant to be
Living here in this concrete sea
Everyone including me
Wishes that we could be set free
Pfff poor lines...
what about this :
Dominique, nique, nique
s'en allait tout simplement
routier simple (or was it pauvre)
et chantant...
The clue is, you have two combine two things here :
1) the singer was a nun
2) you have to know what the French word "nique" stands for. In English, i believe
marlon
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
I don't know what any French words stand for. I always thought that Dominique was just a name.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 10,165
- 138
Concrete is dry (or dried, at least), and water is wet.Danger said:Nothing. It's a commentary on urban life.
(chorus)
No one was meant to be
Living here in this concrete sea
Everyone including me
Wishes that we could be set free
Hence:
BAD IMAGERY!
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
Arildno, it's just a variation on the everyday expression 'concrete jungle', meaning a city.
Thanks for the link, Marlon. The funniest part of it, though, is the bit about the FBI trying to shut down 'Louie, Louie'. Old Mary Hoover was one serious nut case.
Thanks for the link, Marlon. The funniest part of it, though, is the bit about the FBI trying to shut down 'Louie, Louie'. Old Mary Hoover was one serious nut case.
Francis M
- 120
- 1
Loren Booda said:What songs played by groups topping the rock charts only once send you on a "natural" rush?
Norman Greenbaum-"Spirit in The Sky" (and don't even counter with "THe Egg Plant That Ate Chicago"
Soft Cell- "Tainted Love"
T Rex "Bang a Gong"
Dexy's Midnight Runners "Come on Eileen"
The Proclaimers "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)"
Nena "99 Luftballons"
Looking Glass "Brandy (you're a fine girl)"
I'm not sure all of these were one hit wonders but I like 'em.
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
That was released in German, then English. Does that count as 2 hits?Francis M said:Nena "99 Luftballons"
Ain't Got Time Anymore -- Glass Bottle
Want Ads -- Honeycone
Get It On -- Chase
One Toke Over the Line -- Brewer & Shipley
The Night Chicago Died -- Paper Lace
McArthur Park -- Richard Harris (I don't know if that counts or not)
Have I the Right? -- The Honeycombs
Smokin' in the Boys Room -- Brownsville Station
Cakewalk Into Town -- Taj Mahal (or not, if he's also the one who did "Ain't Nobody's Business But My Own"; I can't remember for sure)
Put Your Hand in the Hand -- Ocean
Jody -- Joel Gregorash
Painted Ladies -- Ian Thomas
It Never Rains in Southern California -- (damn! the name escapes me)
Escape (?) (The Pina Colada song) -- Rupert Holmes
zanazzi78
- 115
- 1
This thread 3 pages long and no one`s mentioned Right said fred - "I`m too sexy"
Edit: ok i`ve made it 4 pages long ...
Edit: ok i`ve made it 4 pages long ...
Loren Booda
- 3,115
- 4
The Singing Nun also attempted to popularize the Lord's Prayer in song, I believe. Terrible that she would have commited suicide.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,891
- 11
Sorry guy, see post # 10zanazzi78 said:This thread 3 pages long and no one`s mentioned Right said fred - "I`m too sexy"
Edit: ok i`ve made it 4 pages long ...
I'm almost ashamed to be moved by "The Way" I don't even know the band's name, but I'm not aware of any other hit of theirs.
Spin_Network
- 373
- 0
Danger said:Never heard of Grocer Jack. The Singing Nun did 'Domenic' (sp?).
Right.That 'Jr.' tag threw me off. Douglas did 'Kung Fu Fighting'. Never heard of the other Parker one.
Singing Nun sang :Dominique?
Grocer Jack!..Grocer Jack!..when are you coming back?
was the theme song from the film:A Teenage Opera
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
Sorry... never heard of the movie either.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,564
- 24
OK, I am totally ashamed to admit it but in college I liked these one hit wonders. In some cases I had to Google the lyrics to the chorus just to remind myself who did the song!
Groove is in the Heart by Deee-Lite
The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground
Kiss them for Me by Siouxsie and the Banshees
Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe by Whale
A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins
No Rain by Blind Melon
Sometime during grad school I got out of my alterno-crap phase and went back to the music I loved in high school, namely that which I discovered by listening to my dad's record collection on the sneak when I was little. Happy to say I'm still sticking with the good stuff today.
Groove is in the Heart by Deee-Lite
The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground
Kiss them for Me by Siouxsie and the Banshees
Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe by Whale
A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins
No Rain by Blind Melon
Sometime during grad school I got out of my alterno-crap phase and went back to the music I loved in high school, namely that which I discovered by listening to my dad's record collection on the sneak when I was little. Happy to say I'm still sticking with the good stuff today.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
After my time.Tom Mattson said:Groove is in the Heart by Deee-Lite
The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground
Kiss them for Me by Siouxsie and the Banshees
Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe by Whale
A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins
No Rain by Blind Melon
Anttech
- 237
- 0
Groove is in the Heart by Deee-Lite
Thats not a 1 hit wonder.. they had a few hits
Groove is in the Heart by Deee-Lite
The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground
Kiss them for Me by Siouxsie and the Banshees
Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe by Whale
A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins
No Rain by Blind Melon
Actually none of these are, I don't know Whale but the rest arent
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
Zoot Suit Riot -- Cherry Poppin Daddies
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,891
- 11
Jeez! It just hit me. Without a doubt, my favorite "one-hit" song is:
"Da da da" by Trio.
They had other hits in most European countries, and I remember their follow-up "Boom-Boom" being played on MTV about 1984-ish, but I think this counts as a one-hit band. I had the 12-inch release with the extended "dub" version.
"Da da da" by Trio.
They had other hits in most European countries, and I remember their follow-up "Boom-Boom" being played on MTV about 1984-ish, but I think this counts as a one-hit band. I had the 12-inch release with the extended "dub" version.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,943
- 1,575
Chi Meson said:Jeez! It just hit me. Without a doubt, my favorite "one-hit" song is:
"Da da da" by Trio.
LOL I remember that. I also remember thinking that it took about one brain cell to come up with it.
Danger
Gold Member
- 9,805
- 251
I'm Easy -- Keith (?) Carradine
tribdog
- 779
- 17
Here comes the Sun ~The Beatles(?sp)
Space Oddity~David Bowie
Every little thing she does is magic~The Police
Space Oddity~David Bowie
Every little thing she does is magic~The Police
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,943
- 1,575
tribdog said:Here comes the Sun ~The Beatles(?sp)
Space Oddity~David Bowie
Every little thing she does is magic~The Police
Say what?
That 'Jr.' tag threw me off. Douglas did 'Kung Fu Fighting'. Never heard of the other Parker one.