Which one of the quantities below has dimensions equal to ML/T^2?

In summary, the quantity that has dimensions equal to [ML/T2] is mv2/r, as determined by using the equations F = ma and F = m x (v1-v2)/t1-t2. This is because velocity can be represented as L/T, and when substituted into the given dimensions, one of the L's cancels out, leaving mv2/r.
new^2^physics

Homework Statement

Which one of the quantities below has dimensions equal to [ML/T2]?

Homework Equations

a. mv
b. mv2
c. mv2/r
d. mvr
e. mv2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that ML/T2 is for calculating force for circular motion (I believe)
Therefore after breaking it all down I come to the following conclusions

F = ma
F = m x (v1-v2)/t1-t2
THEREFORE Iam inclined to answer that c is the correct answer, but I am not sure if I am on the correct path, or in left field...
CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is C.

Velocity is just L/T. So V2 equals (L/T)2. R = L so one of the L's cancel and you are left with answer C.

1. What does ML/T^2 stand for?

ML/T^2 is a unit that represents mass (M) times length (L) divided by time squared (T^2). It is commonly used to measure force or acceleration.

2. What is the significance of ML/T^2 in physics?

In physics, ML/T^2 represents the dimensions of force. This is because force is defined as the product of mass and acceleration, which has the same dimensions as ML/T^2.

3. How do I calculate the dimensions of a quantity?

To calculate the dimensions of a quantity, you must analyze the units of each individual component. For ML/T^2, you would look for units of mass, length, and time in the expression and combine them according to the rules of dimensional analysis.

4. What are some common examples of quantities with dimensions equal to ML/T^2?

Some common examples of quantities with dimensions equal to ML/T^2 are force, weight, torque, and pressure. These are all physical quantities that involve the concepts of mass, length, and time.

5. How do dimensions help us understand physical quantities?

Dimensions help us understand physical quantities by providing a way to categorize and compare different types of measurements. They also allow us to perform calculations and conversions between different units of measurement.