Which Orientation is Best for Detecting Leakage from a Glass Bottle with Stopper?

• Thread starter Cosmo
  • Start date

Summary:

Hi, I'm looking for help in knowing which orientation is worse for finding leakage: upside down, sideways or no difference. Thanks.
Hi, I'm looking for help in knowing which orientation is worse for finding leakage: upside down, sideways or no difference.

I have a 30ml glass bottle filled with 26ml of oil that is closed with a glass stopper (cork) applied with a set force. The neck of the bottle is filled with oil when placed sideways. Which orientation would be worse for finding potential leakage: 1) upside down (bottle suspended so the stopper does not touch the surface); 2) sideways; or 3) orientation does not matter? Can you please provide reasons why (liquid pressure laws, air pressure laws, etc.)?

Would the answer change if the filled bottle was stored at room temperature vs. 38 deg C?

Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Leakage where, at the stopper? The leak rate will depend on the pressure difference, you can find out when that is the largest in both cases.

Thanks for responding. Yes, oil leakage at the stopper assuming the stopper does not fall out. Basically checking for any defects on the bottle neck or stopper and pathways for product flow.