1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which schools in the US offer bachelors in mechatronic engineering

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    Which schools offer a bachelors in mechatronic engineering? Any suggestions? Ive read a source that claimed that there were 3. I know one is Southern Polytechnic State University in Georgia. What are the others?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2
    What is "mechatronic" engineering? It might not be offered at a particular school, but you might be able to learn all the same stuff by combining classes from two or 3 other majors.
  4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    I dont know anyone that teaches "mechatronic" engineering but there are many that teach electromechanics.
  5. Nov 12, 2008 #4
    Perhaps a mechatronic engineer is an engineer who is actually a robot, like Arnold Schwartzenegger is a politician who is actually a robot.
  6. Nov 12, 2008 #5
    Oh, wait, that's actually a word. And since the diagram in that Wikipedia article is from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, it seems RPI is probably one of the other places that offers it.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  7. Nov 12, 2008 #6
    I'm not sure about other schools, but Southern Poly is a solid choice. Georgia Tech just started a Ph.D. program in robotics this Fall so if you have plans for grad school, you could probably transition easily to Georgia Tech after finishing at Southern Poly.
  8. Nov 12, 2008 #7
    Just from googling, the only ones I could find are SPSU which you mentioned, California State University-Chico, Lawrence Tech, Vaughn, and a joint program between UNC-Ashville and NCSU. I have not heard of many of these schools, so I can't attest to the quality of the programs.

The vast majority of the people I know who do work in the fields that someone with a mechatronics degree would study do not have a mechatronics degree but are Mechanical or Electrical engineers, so do not feel limited by only schools that offer a mechatronics bachelors. Good Luck.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?