Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which staple/bulk foods can you make at home?

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Bread? Yogurt? Beer? Wine?

Yogurt is easy to make. I've never tried baking bread. A friend of mine used to brew his own beer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I used to make bread with my father, and we also made batches of marmalade from oranges and grapefruit. The grapefruit marmalade was very good.

My parents used to make preserves when we lived out in the country. We also had a vegetable garden and chicken coop. Many Sundays, we had a fresh chicken roast.

Otherwise, we collect fresh berries, vegetables and herbs when in season.

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
    Two very easy staple foods that I regularly make and use: labane (strained yoghurt), which will last a while if you roll it into balls and put in olive oil. Tahini - made from sesame paste, simply add salt, herbs, garlic, lemon juice and water. The paste keeps for very long, and you can use it in dressings (try it on roasted eggplant with lemon juice). There are strainers that allow you to germinate grains overnight, so you can keep dry grains (I use whole lentils, chickpeas, fava beans and dark beans), germinate them and keep them in the fridge for a few days. They go well in salads with lemon juice and semi-hard cheeses.
    I've one uncle that makes olive oil, another ferments just about anything with sugar in it. Had some really good self-brewed beer once, but the person who made it told me you have to make it in large volumes, and I'm not much of a beer drinker.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  5. Jan 19, 2008 #4
    Nothing better than some freshly baked bread, you know exactly whats in it.

6. Jan 19, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I grow the bulk of our vegetables and I consider salsa/chili relish/pickles staples, and I make and can these at home while my wife is at work. We also gather and freeze a lot of wild and gardened foods and have 2 large chest freezers to hold that food.

7. Jan 19, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bread, easily. Beer, tried it a couple times...tasted a lot like the bread. Yeasty! I bet I could do better, but the process is really long. It would require a long attention span, and I don't like beer enough to go to the effort.

I've made pasta, with mixed results.

8. Jan 19, 2008 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you use any special equipment?

9. Jan 19, 2008 #8
    You don't have to, we but the ingredients to make a dough and then either bake it in a normal oven or in a bread machine. Done in an oven has an amazing taste fresh.

10. Jan 19, 2008 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to do it all by hand. Now that I'm (ugh, I hate to say it...) middle aged I don't have the hand strength anymore, and I use a bread machine.

Does that make me wimpy...?

11. Jan 19, 2008 #10

Evo

Yonoz, those all sound wonderful!!

12. Jan 19, 2008 #11

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A couple of years ago I boiled some fruits with sugar and lemon juice. It made a tasty cold drink, and part of it is sitting in the fridge, intact after 2 years.

13. Jan 19, 2008 #12
  14. Jan 19, 2008 #13

Evo

15. Jan 19, 2008 #14

sas3

Gold Member

When I was a kid we all use to help out with the canning of a cornucopia of fruits and vegetables that were grown in our garden.
    We also would catch large amounts of fish and prepare and freeze it for storage, my dad would also bye live chickens and kill, gut, clean and freeze them.

16. Jan 20, 2008 #15
    I like putting a little effort into food, but I'm not a good cook. My previous flatmates are a different story though... I never saw so much effort put into something as simple as hot chocolate! Now I live alone so I need foods I can keep and use in small portions without much effort. I tried abducting one of them but he had a hard time cooking with the shackles and chains on. Besides, I don't think he was really trying.
    You can also make "green tahini" which is just tahini with lots of fine-chopped parsley.

17. Jan 20, 2008 #16
    wow, wheat has about 4 times as much protein as any other sprout! i didn't know that.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  18. Jan 20, 2008 #17
    And I use turbo's recipes. The only thing I haven't gotten to do yet is make habanero laced pickles :biggrin:.

I guess I should wait for my new habanero plant to start blooming before I try anything else.

19. Jan 20, 2008 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Pickles are great with hot chilies in them. I even made some dill pickles using jalapeno slices instead of cucumber slices, with nice Russian garlic cloves and fresh flowering dill heads. Mmmm! Wonderful way to spice up a tuna-salad or egg-salad sandwich!

20. Jan 20, 2008 #19
    My mom made a cake once.

It came in real handy when my dad had to nail a picture to the wall and couldn't find his hammer.

21. Jan 20, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yogurt, beer and wine are staples? :uhh: I can bake bread, and if really forced to do so, could milk a cow and candle eggs, so could handle the bread, milk and eggs staples (just need a cow and laying hens). My vegetable gardening skills have been improving, and I do know how to freeze or can veggies to make them last the winter if I had a large enough garden, so I think I would be covered on the basics if I really had to do so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?