Which Undergrad Textbook is Best for Understanding SHM, Wave Motion, and Optics?

In summary, the conversation is discussing book recommendations for understanding SHM, wave motion, interference, and superposition. The books suggested are Serway/Jewett, Resnick/Halladay, Introduction to Wave Phenomenon by Hirose and Long, Optics by Hecht, and the book in the Berkeley series by Crawford. The focus is on finding a book with both mathematical and conceptual explanations, as well as a good set of problems to practice.
vpv
Hi, I was just wondering if someone can suggest an undergrad textbook which will help me understand SHM, Wave motion, interference and superposition, both mathematically and conceptually. I am having a hard time in my first year second semester course which is focused only on the topics listed above. Also how is Serway/Jewett? Is Resnick/Halladay better for the above topics? Any other suggestions are most welcome.
Thank you.

Edit: Book suggestions are welcome for both geometrical optics and physical optics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Resnick/Halladay is good. Reading concepts wouldn't help, go towards solving as many problems as possible.

Of course that's what I want to do. But does Resnick and Halladay have a decent set of problems? I have 3000 Solved problems in physics but some of the questions are not related what I've learned..

i like introduction to wave phenomenon by hirose and long for a first course in waves. their treatment of Fourier analysis is meh, but everyone does that differently. optics by hecht is the de facto standard for its namesake.

I strongly recommend the book in the Berkeley series by Crawford. It has an excellent exposition of topics, coupled with home-experiments and good problems. As A.P. French put it, the book is a real "Tour de force".

1. What is wave motion?

Wave motion refers to the movement or propagation of a disturbance or oscillation through a medium. This disturbance can take the form of a wave, which can be described by its frequency, wavelength, and amplitude.

2. What topics are covered in a textbook for wave motion?

A textbook for wave motion typically covers topics such as the properties of waves, wave equations, superposition and interference, wave behavior in different media, and applications of wave motion in various fields such as optics and acoustics.

3. How is wave motion related to energy and momentum?

Wave motion is related to energy and momentum through the transfer of these quantities as the wave propagates through a medium. The energy of a wave is proportional to its amplitude, while the momentum is proportional to its wavelength and frequency.

4. What are some real-world examples of wave motion?

Some common examples of wave motion include sound waves, water waves, seismic waves, and electromagnetic waves such as light and radio waves. These types of waves can be observed in everyday phenomena such as listening to music, surfing, or experiencing an earthquake.

5. How is wave motion important in scientific research and technology?

Wave motion has a wide range of applications in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. It is used in technologies such as ultrasound imaging, radar, and telecommunications. It also plays a crucial role in understanding natural phenomena such as weather patterns and seismic activity.