Which Undergrad Textbook is Best for Understanding SHM, Wave Motion, and Optics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
vpv
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hi, I was just wondering if someone can suggest an undergrad textbook which will help me understand SHM, Wave motion, interference and superposition, both mathematically and conceptually. I am having a hard time in my first year second semester course which is focused only on the topics listed above. Also how is Serway/Jewett? Is Resnick/Halladay better for the above topics? Any other suggestions are most welcome.
Thank you.

Edit: Book suggestions are welcome for both geometrical optics and physical optics.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Resnick/Halladay is good. Reading concepts wouldn't help, go towards solving as many problems as possible.
 
Of course that's what I want to do. But does Resnick and Halladay have a decent set of problems? I have 3000 Solved problems in physics but some of the questions are not related what I've learned..
 
i like introduction to wave phenomenon by hirose and long for a first course in waves. their treatment of Fourier analysis is meh, but everyone does that differently. optics by hecht is the de facto standard for its namesake.
 
I strongly recommend the book in the Berkeley series by Crawford. It has an excellent exposition of topics, coupled with home-experiments and good problems. As A.P. French put it, the book is a real "Tour de force".