Obama Returns Solar Panels to White House Roof

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solar
In summary, President Barack Obama's decision to return solar panels to the White House roof has sparked comparisons to former president Jimmy Carter's attempt to use solar power in the 1970s. While some question the practicality and cost of the installation, others see it as a symbolic gesture of the government's commitment to clean energy. However, there are also concerns that this may be a superficial move to give the appearance of action without addressing the larger issue at hand.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are many symbols in President Barack Obama's decision Tuesday to return solar panels to the White House roof.

But one his administration didn't want to invoke was Jimmy Carter.

The former president's black-and-white image was quickly slapped above the solar panel story atop the Drudge Report. First-run articles in The New York Times, The Associated Press and USA Today also quickly made the connection between Obama and Carter, who in the late 1970s set up a solar-powered heating system for West Wing offices, only to see it torn down a couple of years later during the Ronald Reagan administration...
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/43156.html#ixzz11VnCzznc

I wasn't sure if this discussion might go nowhere, political, or towards energy, so GD is it for now.

While I didn't like Carter as a leader, he had the right ideas. I don't know if the original system made sense or not. For a long time, solar really was a losing proposition for most people, but it probably makes sense to do this today.

Physics news on Phys.org
how much capacity we talkin' 'bout here?

Proton Soup said:

Best case scenario of an yearly average of 6-7 kWh/m^2/day.

http://http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/redbook/atlas/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Proton Soup said:
That was my first question.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know if the original system made sense or not. For a long time, solar really was a losing proposition for most people, but it probably makes sense to do this today.
Well, no, solar is still typically a badly losing proposition unless government subsidies artificially make the economics favorable. Not sure if they would get subsidies for this, but since this is a government installation, the concept of subsidy is pretty meaningless anyway... but then again, since this is the White House we're talking about, competing economic factors might override the typical economic factors and alternately make it make sense or not make sense:

-The rediculously high security at the White House would make installing anything there rediculously expensive.
-The fact that it is at the White House gives bidders the incentive to bid it for next to nothing since they get to use the installation for advertising. So if they can get a free solar array, definitely go for it.

russ_watters said:
Well, no, solar is still typically a badly losing proposition unless government subsidies artificially make the economics favorable. Not sure if they would get subsidies for this, but since this is a government installation, the concept of subsidy is pretty meaningless anyway... but then again, since this is the White House we're talking about, competing economic factors might override the typical economic factors and alternately make it make sense or not make sense:

-The rediculously high security at the White House would make installing anything there rediculously expensive.
-The fact that it is at the White House gives bidders the incentive to bid it for next to nothing since they get to use the installation for advertising. So if they can get a free solar array, definitely go for it.

I think the greatest value from this is to try and show that the US government actually gives a dam about clean energy. Enough to have solar panels, economically viable or not, installed on one of the most recognized symbols of US government.

Topher925 said:
I think the greatest value from this is to try and show that the US government actually gives a dam about clean energy.
You're saying you think that this is a good way to demonstrate that? ...
Enough to have solar panels, economically viable or not, installed on one of the most recognized symbols of US government.
...or that this just gives the appearance of giving a dam about clean energy?

If you're saying the second, I agree, but I don't agree that that is a positive thing. It is a substitute for real government action.

1. What are the reasons for Obama's decision to return solar panels to the White House roof?

The primary reason for President Obama's decision to return solar panels to the White House roof was to promote the use of renewable energy and showcase the United States' commitment to addressing climate change. This decision also aligns with Obama's overall goal of reducing the country's dependence on fossil fuels and transitioning towards clean energy sources.

2. When were the solar panels first installed on the White House roof?

The solar panels were first installed on the White House roof in 1979 during President Jimmy Carter's administration. They were used to heat water for the White House staff dining room and were later removed during President Ronald Reagan's term in office.

3. How many solar panels were installed on the White House roof?

The exact number of solar panels installed on the White House roof has not been disclosed. However, it is estimated that there were around 32 panels installed during President Carter's administration.

4. What type of solar panels were installed on the White House roof?

The solar panels installed on the White House roof were a type of solar thermal technology called flat-plate collectors. These panels use the sun's energy to heat water, which can then be used for various purposes.

5. How will the return of solar panels to the White House roof impact the country's energy usage?

The return of solar panels to the White House roof is a symbolic gesture that aims to promote the use of renewable energy and inspire others to do the same. While the impact on the country's overall energy usage may be minimal, it sends a powerful message about the importance of transitioning towards clean energy sources and reducing our carbon footprint.