White noise frequencies and Audio Speakers

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of audio speakers to reproduce white noise for sleep, and whether or not the speakers would accurately reproduce the desired range of frequencies for rain and sea waves. It was suggested to use a phone or computer to test the speakers and play a series of frequencies. It was also mentioned that having a perfect reproduction of white noise may not be necessary for its intended purpose of masking ambient sounds.
arivel
Hi everyone .
unfortunately for health reasons I have to give it a try and put a pair of audio speakers in my bedroom to reproduce white noise during sleep. I need to know if the audio speakers I already own are able to reproduce the range of frequencies I need, namely that of rain and sea waves on the beach. Do you know what these two frequency ranges are?

Physics news on Phys.org
White noise includes all frequencies by definition. But I'd ask: do you really need ultra-faithful replication of white noise? How accurately would you be able to differentiate not-quite-perfect reproduction of it from perfect reproduction? I'd just plug your phone into your speakers, YouTube search a for sea sounds and listen to it.

Likes davenn
it's not the accuracy of reproduction that worries me.
I try to explain myself better by giving an example (do not take the example literally, because I do not know the frequency range of my audio speakers, I have to document myself).
if some of the white noise is below the 100Hz frequency and my audio speakers play from 100Hz, some of the noise is absent.
are we understood now?

It won’t matter. The purpose is just to mask ambient sounds a bit so that you can ignore them.

arivel said:
if some of the white noise is below the 100Hz frequency and my audio speakers play from 100Hz, some of the noise is absent.
As @Ibix explained: white noise contains all frequencies by definition. So no matter the speakers you have, some of the white noise will be absent, and for by far most speakers that will be in the audible range. However, does that matter? I do not know about the medical application of using white noise for sleep, but if, as @Dale suggest, it is to mask ambient sound, it probably is not a problem. I would say: just try.

Likes vanhees71
Most of the phone apps that play rain and waves sounds are -not surprisingly- designed to work reasonably well with the speakers on a typical smart phone which are usually not great. Any "normal" speaker including typical computer speakers will be much better
My wife does sometimes like to listen to the sound of waves when trying to fall asleep and we play the sounds using a Google Home mini which has a tiny speaker; it works well.

Also, the goal with these sounds is not really to mask ambient sound (although it might work for that as well); some people just finds the sound soothing and it helps them sleep.

arivel said:
it's not the accuracy of reproduction that worries me. [...] if some of the white noise is below the 100Hz frequency and my audio speakers play from 100Hz, some of the noise is absent.
If there are frequencies below 100 Hz that your speakers are not playing then you have inaccurate reproduction!

You can help with accurate reproduction by having a good set of speakers and improving room acoustics, but there is no limit to how far you can take that. You could spend thousands of dollars on speakers and turn your bedroom into an anechoic chamber. But, as others have mentioned, none of that is necessary. You need just a decent reproduction.

The lowest frequency is limited by the dimensions of the listening room. And the highest frequency might be restricted by your own hearing.

That's a bit of a stretch (drivers can very well be the limit for either low or high frequency...) I'm not assuming the OP wants a 10k+ audiophile system in his bedroom...

Arjan82 said:
That's a bit of a stretch
What's a bit of a stretch? Which statement did you meant to quote in your reply?

arivel said:
You don't need, and probably don't want, a lot of white noise under 100 Hz. Under that the sound starts to be more like the rattling of your neighbors car when he cranks his bass up, something you probably don't want in your bedroom while sleeping.
arivel said:
I need to know if the audio speakers I already own are able to reproduce the range of frequencies I need, namely that of rain and sea waves on the beach.
Plug them into a phone or a computer and play a series of test sounds from across the full range of the hearing spectrum to check your speakers. Here's a website with samples from 60 Hz to 18 kHz: http://web.engr.uky.edu/~donohue/audio/fsear.html
If you don't like that one I'm sure there are plenty of other websites and even apps that allow you to play any frequency within the range of human hearing.

berkeman said:
What's a bit of a stretch? Which statement did you meant to quote in your reply?
The post before:
tech99 said:
The lowest frequency is limited by the dimensions of the listening room. And the highest frequency might be restricted by your own hearing.
But maybe 'stretch' wasn't the right wording. The point is that this is only true for high quality speakers.

tech99 said:
It's not only the high and low frequencies that are affected by the room. Any normal room will have a whole lot of minor resonances (choose any distance between major items like walls, ceiling, floor and wooden furniture) and each of those will 'colour' the sound. A 'flat' spectrum of noise out of the speakers will end up full of peaks and troughs.

Our ears are more than capable of dealing with that when we listen to so-called HiFi equipment and we tend to 'hear' what the actual recorded source produced. It's nothing to worry about. We happily listen to a tiny transistor radio or phone. Only when we turn on something with 'good speakers' in an acoustically treated room do we notice just how good reproduction sounds.

arivel said:
the audio speakers I already own
If they have a brand name and model number you should be able to google the specifications.

Keith_McClary said:
If they have a brand name and model number you should be able to google the specifications.
… which will be meaningless unless the OP paid a fabulous amount for them.

• Love
Likes Keith_McClary
the following reasoning also needs to be done.
of the whole frequency range that makes up the white noise I do not know if the ones that are good for me are all those present or if it is a small part of them. if this small part were to be excluded from my speakers then it is all in vain.

arivel said:
of the whole frequency range that makes up the white noise I do not know if the ones that are good for me are all those present or if it is a small part of them.

arivel said:
unfortunately for health reasons I have to give it a try and put a pair of audio speakers in my bedroom to reproduce white noise during sleep.

I don't think we've asked yet where you got this medical advice to try white noise while you sleep. Did you just read it on the Internet, or did your doctor suggest that you try it? You need to look to the source of this medical advice to figure out what parts of the audio white noise spectrum are important.

Did you see this answer above?
Dale said:
It won’t matter. The purpose is just to mask ambient sounds a bit so that you can ignore them.

If the white noise does not have low frequencies, it won't mask ambient low frequency sound. Do you have the following in your ambient noise at night? Railroad tracks within 100m? Jackhammers? Earthquakes? Aussie natives playing the didgeridoo? Most likely no, you don't have much of those kinds of noise.

I have no ambient noise.
I suffer from sleep disorders.

arivel said:
the following reasoning also needs to be done.
of the whole frequency range that makes up the white noise I do not know if the ones that are good for me are all those present or if it is a small part of them. if this small part were to be excluded from my speakers then it is all in vain.
Is there some reason you won't simply try playing the sounds with the speakers you already have and see if it works? That's the quickest and easiest way to answer your question whether your current speakers are up to the job.

arivel said:
I have no ambient noise.

berkeman said:
Did you just read it on the Internet, or did your doctor suggest that you try it?

So what's the white noise supposed to do? If it's just a soothing focus then exact reproduction isn't important. If specific frequencies are supposed to be important, google "youtube 100hz noise" (or whatever) and try playing a few of the results. They won't necessarily be calming, but will work as a speaker test. Can you hear them? If so, your speakers are good for it.

An experiment will beat specification documents every time.

arivel said:
I have no ambient noise.
Again, pretty much any speaker will be fine for this.

There is nothing "magical "about the white noise used and it is usually not even really noise (white or otherwise); it is literally just recorded sounds of waves at a beach or rain hitting a roof. If YOU find the sound soothing and it helps you sleep then it is all good. It is just a way to relax.

My wife has an app on her phone that the she uses occasionally, there must be dozens of sounds to choose from; some of them she finds soothing and some not; it is highly personal and has nothing as such to do with the frequency response of the speaker. All of the sounds are optimized to work on a typical smartphone speaker, meaning there is virtually no bass (which isn't really a problem if one is trying to reproduce the sound of rain). The sounds do help her sleep; I don't really mind either way ; they don't help, but I also don't find them disturbing.

The only time speaker quality would perhaps be an issue would be if you were trying to fall asleep to say the sound of humpback whales (people do use recordings of "whalesong" to relax), in this case a "bad" speaker could perhaps be somewhat problematic since those sounds can be contain quite a wide range of frequencies.

arivel said:
I do not know if the ones that are good for me are all those present
This is all a totally subjective matter and no one can tell you anything definitive. People with tinnitus can sometimes get relief with white noise and that condition is 'all inside the head' so measurements of any kind are not easy.

First of all you have to listen to the sound of the 'white noise' that you have. Its 'quality' (or at least the combination of the sound and your particular hearing) can be judged by what you hear. If you can identify any particular colouration and it it particularly disturbs you then go for another source of noise. Alternatively listen on headphones to see if you can identify the same colouration.

If you are suffering from a sleeping disorder then you just have to try dealing with it using the whole range of techniques that you can find. Spend a lot of time in your normal 'sleep' conditions, just listening to the sound. That could be just the sort of distraction that you need to allow you to 'let go' of consciousness. Good luck.

Likes vanhees71
I suffer from some a sleep disorder that is somehow similar. I managed to improve my sleep with fairly standard earbuds (Sony) and my phone (Motorola). No money spent. I downloaded several sounds and tested until I found the "best" one.

Likes sophiecentaur and vanhees71
thanks everyone for the replies

What is white noise and how does it differ from other types of noise?

White noise is a type of noise that contains all frequencies at equal intensities, resulting in a constant and consistent sound. It differs from other types of noise, such as pink noise or brown noise, which have different frequency distributions and therefore sound different.

What are white noise frequencies and how are they measured?

White noise frequencies refer to the range of frequencies that make up white noise. These frequencies typically range from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, which is the range of human hearing. White noise frequencies can be measured using a spectrum analyzer, which displays the intensity of each frequency present in the sound.

Can white noise frequencies have an impact on audio speakers?

Yes, white noise frequencies can have an impact on audio speakers. If the white noise frequencies are too loud or too high, they can cause the speakers to vibrate excessively and potentially damage them. It is important to use caution when playing white noise through audio speakers.

How do audio speakers produce white noise frequencies?

Audio speakers produce white noise frequencies by converting electrical signals into sound waves. The electrical signals are sent to a speaker's cone, which vibrates at different frequencies to produce sound. White noise frequencies are created by sending equal amounts of electrical signals to the speaker's cone across the entire frequency range.

Can white noise frequencies have any benefits?

Yes, white noise frequencies can have benefits for some individuals. Some people use white noise as a sleep aid, as it can help mask other sounds and create a consistent background noise. White noise frequencies can also be used for sound masking in offices or other environments where privacy is desired.