Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who cares about scientific evidence?

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6994415.stm

That's kinda funny, actually.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2
    My initial response was a small flicker of fear and even though it seems strange to hold such beliefs, I cannot really blame them. After all, memes come in all forms.

4. Sep 14, 2007 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Oh man, this again!? They look an awful lot like barrier islands on a submarine ridge to me...

I wish I had an army of monkeys...

5. Sep 14, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Such a typical government response...seems it doesn't matter what country you're in, there's plenty of government inefficiency to go around. Go ahead and keep dredging, and spending the money and time, even though we might tell you to give up and forget about the whole project because you can't disturb this big obstacle that would be in the middle of the canal.

6. Sep 14, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had a barrel of monkeys, but that's probably not the same thing.

7. Sep 15, 2007 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, as expected, this is the ugly result when politics mixes with science

(http://www.hindu.com/2007/09/15/stories/2007091561331400.htm)

(http://www.indianexpress.com/story/217104.html)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  8. Sep 15, 2007 #7
    US Christianity is probably just a little ahead of the curb, pretty soon we're gonna have to contend with the rest of the religious world.

9. Sep 15, 2007 #8

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Scary... I really hope something like Intelligent Design doesn't crop up here. It'll be an awful mess

10. Sep 15, 2007 #9
    I heard some politician on the news say things about how faith should be left unquestioned and all. Perhaps the sun should still revolve around the earth for Christians.
    At least the temples are not burning the ASI researchers at the stake, not yet.

11. Sep 15, 2007 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:approve: Slip of the thumb?

12. Sep 15, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While this thread could have taken primarily a political direction, it seems to be taking more of a religion-bashing direction. I'm going to remind everyone that our forum guidelines prohibit value judgements about religion of any kind...for or against. This is one of those borderline subjects that could go either way. If it continues in the religious (or anti-religious) direction, it will be locked.

13. Sep 15, 2007 #12

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Even if it is in direct contradiction to available scientific evidence as in this case? I didn't think it was value judgement, but more like factual judgement. For example, in this case, the religious petitioners claim that the bridge was built 1.75 million years ago, by a group of monkeys. With our knowledge of evolution, and the available archaeological and geographical evidence, this is clearly not the case.

Also, to clarify, I didn't wish to pass judgment values on the Big Question in this thread, or bash religion. I wanted to point out the worrying trend over here, when scientific evidence seems to be worthless in making decisions of national interest when faced with religious opposition. Is that allowed? Going by the current trend, it's not too hard to imagine a situation where history/science books in schools are modified by fundamentalist hardline politicians (as the BBC put it) so that, the books don't contain information based on scientific evidence, but those which are held to be true by religious beliefs.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  14. Sep 16, 2007 #13

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Crikey, that didn't take long!!!

(http://www.hindu.com/2007/09/15/stories/2007091554870700.htm)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?