• wittingstein

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • other

Votes: 19 23.2%

• Total voters

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hume is my favorite.

Answers and Replies

The Tao Te Ching is among the top 3 all time best selling books in the world, but you left out Lao Tzu.

I'd vote Spinoza. But, Wittgenstein is the modern version of him.

disregardthat
Science Advisor
Wittgenstein. Late Wittgenstein.

This late/early never really made much sense to me. I mean he says that the Investigations is sort of a continuation of earlier work. A "contrast" is the term he used.

disregardthat
Science Advisor
It's obviously a different philosophical direction and style no matter how sharp one considers the distinction.

It always seemed to me as a more sociological and semi-psychological/cognitive approach. The Investigations that is.

I would have voted, but you left out Eddie Lawrence. You left out Wittgenstein too.

Last edited:
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
I'd find this more interesting if reasons were given for the choice, for example, what is preferred about late Wittgenstein?

Some of you choose Liebnitz. Could you explain why? I mean, how does his philosophy of monads make any sense? What is the holistic view?

I'd find this more interesting if reasons were given for the choice, for example, what is preferred about late Wittgenstein?

Lao Tzu has the elegant simplicity of good physics. Its like poetry, either you like it or you don't and there's no accounting for taste.

Wittgenstein would be my second choice. I'd compare his later work to that of Socrates who managed to shift the focus in Greek philosophy away from metaphysics and more towards ethics and logistics by a simple and creative use of their own traditional Reductio ad absurdum approach. In his later work Wittgenstein helped to shift the focus of academic philosophy from Continental philosophy to Analytic philosophy and linguistics using again a simple and creative approach that incorporated the traditional logistics. Like Socrates' philosophy that of Wittgenstein is as interesting for its sweeping impact on academic philosophy as it is in and of itself.

Last edited:
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
Lao Tzu has the elegant simplicity of good physics. Its like poetry, either you like it or you don't and there's no accounting for taste.

Wittgenstein would be my second choice. I'd compare his later work to that of Socrates who managed to shift the focus in Greek philosophy away from metaphysics and more towards ethics and logistics by a simple and creative use of their own traditional Reductio ad absurdum approach. In his later work Wittgenstein helped to shift the focus of academic philosophy from Continental philosophy to Analytic philosophy and linguistics using again a simple and creative approach that incorporated the traditional logistics. Like Socrates' philosophy that of Wittgenstein is as interesting for its sweeping impact on academic philosophy as it is in and of itself.
Thank you, wuliheron, that is exactly what I was hoping for! I think it is interesting to see what we find especially appealing in differing ideas. An elegant simplicity of good physics sounds a good reason. And thanks for the explanation you gave for late Wittgenstein, too.

Thank you, wuliheron, that is exactly what I was hoping for! I think it is interesting to see what we find especially appealing in differing ideas. An elegant simplicity of good physics sounds a good reason. And thanks for the explanation you gave for late Wittgenstein, too.
You're welcome.

I'm gonna go with Leibniz because he invented differential and integral calculus...

Either W.V.O. Quine or Hilary Putnam.

No love for analytic philosophy? Russell is the only one on the list and his name is spelled wrong.

Rorty is becoming my favourite philosopher. I love his nonchalant philosophy bashing.

Aristotle.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Lindsay Lohan

Lindsay Lohan said:
People go to college to find who they are as a person and find what they want to do in life, and I kind of already know that so it would be like I`d be taking a step back or something.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Lindsay Lohan

People go to college to find who they are as a person and find what they want to do in life, and I kind of already know that so it would be like I`d be taking a step back or something.
That requires translation from the ancient Hollyberic to modern. According to the Google translator, we get ~ "I have $100 million in the bank".

That requires translation from the ancient Hollyberic to modern. According to the Google translator, we get ~ "I have $100 million in the bank".
The more accurate translation, "I can be rich, famous, and party all the time without going to school."

turbo
Gold Member
None of my top three were in there, even though they are all dead and all widely quoted:

Samuel Clemens
Ambrose Bierce
George Carlin
(not necessarily in that order)

MarcoD
Hmm... Wittingstein is that dude who wrote so incomprehensible that we now enjoy spelling his name incorrectly? I totally agree! :tongue:

The Tao Te Ching is among the top 3 all time best selling books in the world, but you left out Lao Tzu.
The Eastern Tradition & Philosophers are quite often, unfortunately, overlooked i think this would be one of those cases.

Jean Paul Sartre, his philosophy is simply beautiful
http://www.sonoma.edu/users/d/daniels/sartre%20sum.html

epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
other is my favourite, for his wider point of view.