Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question for you baby boomers - Which was your favorite decade & why?

1. 1950's

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. 1960's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1970's

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. 1980's

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. 1990's

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. 2000's

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. 2010's

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Mar 7, 2015 #1
    This is a question to anyone reading this who was born shortly after world war 2 (baby boomers).

What has been your favorite decade and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2015 #2
    1980's.

Because the 1960's did not come to a complete close till about 1980. That is: the 70's were a kind of long post 60's hangover, disco notwithstanding. The 80's were new and fresh. The music was fun and vapid, the clothes were colorful, Hollywood generated a lot of comedies. Things had lightened up.

4. Mar 7, 2015 #3
    I was born in late 70s , so I think I enjoyed myself most during years of early 2000s when I first learned about the Internet and started my first courses in psychology and cybernetics at college. I miss my friends and all loved ones, some of who already passed away while others now have to take drugs to keep their bodies and hallucinations alive. If only we had never met, our dreams about being together should have lasted forever more...

5. Mar 7, 2015 #4
    I was born in 87 so my memories of the 80's are almost nonexistent.

But I do remember the 90's quite clearly, and they weren't bad.

6. Mar 7, 2015 #5
    after 69 woodstock, must have been a decade long hangover. Anyway, my favourite is 90s, because I was born then and there were better cartoons.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  7. Mar 7, 2015 #6

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I voted 70's but it's really the 60's and 70's. I lived in two small coastal towns during the late 50s and early 60s before moving to the suburbs of two major cities in the mid to late 60s. I liked the mid 60s to mid 70s, because I made some very good friends, some with whom I keep in touch. I watched the transition from steam to diesel locomotives, and enjoyed the outback and the music.

8. Mar 8, 2015 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Only two baby boomers answered so far. So much for reading instructions.

I voted for the 80's for the same reasons as zoobyshoe, although I loved 60's music. In the 70's music took a nose dive, by 1973 my friends and I decided music would never be good again.

9. Mar 8, 2015 #8

Dotini

Gold Member

I was born in '48.

A favorite decade is a hard thing to ask. In terms of music, it had always been the sixties, but now it is the fifties/sixties doo-wop with its emphasis on harmony, love and kisses.

In terms of everything else, it is the current decade, for despite any decadence or corruption in the world at large, I've never been so personally contented and at peace with the world, reconciled to both its realties and its ambiguities.

10. Mar 8, 2015 #9

russ_watters

Maybe the other baby boomers' eyes are going bad and they didn't see the thread...? :-p

11. Mar 8, 2015 #10

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I was born in the 1950's, but I find that things keep getting better and better. I like now.

12. Mar 9, 2015 #11
    The 90's were a blast to grow up in because of all the video games, arcades, and electronic entertainment.

13. Mar 9, 2015 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

hmm..... I voted, before I saw the following, just this morning, posted by my bff, gen-Xer:

I retired last year, and never had to work with a "Millennial".
    I'm sticking with my answer.

ps. I told him to hang on.

14. Mar 9, 2015 #13

nsaspook

Science Advisor

I voted 80's as it was the last time that you knew someone was a bit odd if they were talking to themselves as they walked down the street, that and the fact it was still OK at most jobs to have 'a' beer or mixed drink as a regular Joe for lunch and not get fired as official company policy.

15. Mar 10, 2015 #14
    I like to chill out sometimes, the more parties the more funs. Sharing is caring. :-p

16. Mar 10, 2015 #15
    In my opinion, the 90's was a lost decade. Almost nothing interesting happened in the 90's, with the partial exception of the grunge movement early on. One could argue that the internet was born circa 1995, but the internet we know today wasn't really defined until the early 2000's when broadband became widely available. Before that, it wasn't really clear, to me at least, that the internet was going to be a primarily entertainment and socially driven media. So to put a "stamp" on the 90's and say that this decade was about this or that...I don't what I'd say. Every other post war decade I think had some specific feature that defined it.

17. Mar 10, 2015 #16

Ryan_m_b

I have no idea what the comedy here is. It's just "millennials are stupid and lazy" over and over again.

18. Mar 10, 2015 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Mainly, because I've lived through all 7 decades, so I've seen these "generational" schisms before.
    As I said, I never had one work for me.
    And of my 125 Facebook friends, only two are millennials. I had to "unfollow" them, as I find their means of communication almost incomprehensible.

It's also funny, because the "millennial's" response was just as good, if not better.
    They are what they are, because of us.

Bam!

19. Mar 10, 2015 #18

Ryan_m_b

You find communication by anyone under 33 (the upper age for the usage of the term) incomprehensible? I guess I'm just generally baffled by the lengths to which people will generalise a demographic of the population.

20. Mar 10, 2015 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not "anyone".... :oldgrumpy:

I thought Binzing was a college student when I first found PF. Then I found out he was a 4 foot tall 14 year old.
    I'm sure there are more kids out there like him. I just haven't met any of them, outside of PF.

hmmmm.....

Code (Text):
    Generation      born between
    Lost            1883-1900
    Greatest        1901-1924
    Silent          1925-1942
    Baby Boomers    1943-1964
    X               1965-1983
    Millennials     1984-2003
    Ok. There are a few more millenials on my FB list, but they are on the "gen-X" cusp.
    I can tell, as I think they are all right around 30, and have shut off the "year" on their birthdays.
    Ha!
    That's another thing that never changes.

"No one will trust you, after you turn 30".
    :oldbiggrin:

21. Mar 10, 2015 #20

russ_watters

These kids, today!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook