Who is your favorite SciFi character?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scifi
In summary, my favorite SciFi character is Spock. I also like G'Kar, Nightcrawler, and the Seventh Doctor from the New Adventures series of books. My favorite SciFi character of all time is Futarama's Bender.
Who is your favorite SciFi character? Personally I can't pick one! I have to pick three! :D

Spock (Star Trek)
WALL-E (WALL-E)
Nightcrawler (X-Men)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Must be the re-mastered Star Wars. :wink:

Like you, I have trouble identifying a single stand-out.

Spock's an old favourite of mine, too. Somewhat to my surprise, Worf grew on me throughout his run on Deep Space Nine - there were signs of intelligence showing through the layers of "Worf Smash!" and honourable idiocy.

G'Kar from Babylon 5 gets some awesome moments - "...we will be free" and his reaction to his literalist follower.

The Seventh Doctor in the New Adventures series of books is also superb. His opponents have usually lost by the end of the first page (plus or minus ten) - it just takes everyone except the Doctor the rest of the book to figure that out.

I could probably go on...

If we have to pick from TV stuff, I would have to go with G'Kar. "Nobody here is what he seems." Very apt.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Spock (Star Wars)

Hmm. Which color lightsabre did Spock have again?

Drakkith said:
Hmm. Which color lightsabre did Spock have again?

oooh no! what have I done! a cardinal scifi sin! :redface: :biggrin:

My two most favouritest characters ever are little Annie Skywalker and Jar-Jar B... *dies of brain aneurysm*

7 of 9 and T'pol

Spock and Tuvok

Likes Glenstr
"Little Annie Skywalker" took me a moment to work out! My poor perverted mind went to "Little Annie Fanny" from "Playboy".

(Has anyone calculated the the age difference between Anakin and Amidala? She's at least ten years older than he is.)

My favorite Sci Fi character is Futarama's Bender!

Micromégas (from a story of the same name by Voltaire) and Frankenstein's monster(from The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley).
I really am out of touch with modern literature*...

Robbie the Robot from the movies: Forbidden Planet and the Invisible Boy

Robert the Robot from the TV show Fireball XL-5

Atom from the movie Real Steel

Stanley from Lexx? Not sure why, but I enjoyed him and love plugging Lexx
The Fifth Element - too cute to ignore
The 9th doctor
Sponge Bob (joking)

BTW, Geoff the gay robot skeleton says Robbie the Robot is a douche.

I have a few. I'm a massive Star Trek fan, and McCoy has always been a favorite of mine. I love the interaction between him and Spock in TOS. I've also been an avid Star Wars fan since I was a toddler, so I have to include Boba Fett and Kit Fisto. Lastly, I have been playing Warhammer 40k for some time now, and I love Pedro Kantor, chapter master of the Crimson Fists. Oh yeah, and I'm fan of Matt Smith as the eleventh doctor. I had to edit this because I forgot about Dr. McKay from Stargate Atlantis.

G'kar, his transition from the 1st to 5th season of B5 is increadible. You start off hating him but as he grows as a character end up just loving him.

Ahhh but what is god and what is truth?
Truth is a river...
and god?
God is the mouth of the river!

lol

cpscdave said:
Ahhh but what is god and what is truth?
Truth is a river...
and god?
God is the mouth of the river!

lol
Look closely... closer... closer...
*Slam*

I have a feeling that JMS doesn't like religious literalists.

Kirth Gersen, from Demon Princes by Jack Vance.

Because poison-master protagonists are rare.

Hari Seldon. HE CAN SEE THE FUTURE USING MATH. YES, HE DOES SO THROUGH STATISTICAL ANALYSIS APPLIED TO LARGE POPULATIONS, BUT HE CAN STILL PREDICT WHAT THE GROUP WILL DO TO A SINGLE PERSON. HE IS AWESOME.

Likes Geofleur, Madpoet626 and Joe Martin
Malcolm Reynolds

stevenjones3.1 said:
Malcolm Reynolds
Really? Firefly?? Oh well, each to his own I guess. :biggrin:

I thought much the Firefly's cast were severely mis-cast. I can't stand Gina Torres in anything.
Alan Tudyk was crap as "Wash". And... Jewel Staite as a girl engineer(!?) who... can't get date? Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

strangerep said:
Really? Firefly?? Oh well, each to his own I guess. :biggrin:

I thought much the Firefly's cast were severely mis-cast. I can't stand Gina Torres in anything.
Alan Tudyk was crap as "Wash". And... Jewel Staite as a girl engineer(!?) who... can't get date? Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

You may very well be the first person I've ever met/seen who doesn't like Firefly. Though I will say Jewel Staite is a pretty bad actor.

nisl7570 said:
You may very well be the first person I've ever met/seen who doesn't like Firefly.
"Disappointed" is probably a more accurate description. It showed me that Joss Whedon can be a hit-or-miss kinda guy. The songs he personally composed in the Buffy epsiode "Once More With Feeling" were all pretty good (imho), but the theme song to Firefly was an utter dirge.

strangerep said:
"Disappointed" is probably a more accurate description. It showed me that Joss Whedon can be a hit-or-miss kinda guy. The songs he personally composed in the Buffy epsiode "Once More With Feeling" were all pretty good (imho), but the theme song to Firefly was an utter dirge.

:eek: I love the theme to Firefly! I learned to sing/play it on the guitar. I didn't know Whedon actually wrote it. I mean it's not a lyrical masterpiece, but I thought it fit the show very well.

nisl7570 said:
:eek: I love the theme to Firefly! I learned to sing/play it on the guitar. I didn't know Whedon actually wrote it. I mean it's not a lyrical masterpiece, but I thought it fit the show very well.
I thought the lyrics suited the show, but the music... hmm. I did like the Serenity movie more though. (I saw that first, then eventually bought Firefly on DVD and was disappointed after seeing the film).

I've never watched Firefly, much to the chagrin of some of my friends. But I don't see the point. Either I'll like it then I'll be sad that there were such few episodes... Or I won't
Either way I loose :D

strangerep said:
Jewel Staite as a girl engineer(!?) who... can't get date? Yeah, right. :rolleyes:
Heh, she was 100% fan service and pushing buttons on the target audience.
But then again, I sometimes think the whole show is composed entirely of nerdy fan service, which would explain why people feel so strongly about it.

Bandersnatch said:
[Jewel Staite] was 100% fan service and pushing buttons on the target audience.
Heh, I could watch her performing in anything. :biggrin:

I just don't think she was well-cast for that particular role.

Of course, Nicole Kidman as a brain surgeon in "Days of Thunder" was even worse casting. :uhh:

strangerep said:
Of course, Nicole Kidman as a brain surgeon in "Days of Thunder" was even worse casting. :uhh:
How about Natalie Portman as "a brilliant astrophysicist" or whatever she was supposed to be in Thor?

Bandersnatch said:
How about Natalie Portman as "a brilliant astrophysicist" or whatever she was supposed to be in Thor?
Oh, is that what she was? :wink:

Anyway,... aren't the Thor movie(s) (and other Marvel stuff) supposed to be (expensive) comedies? :tongue:

This is a very tough question, so many more to choose from than the 'worlds' question. On balance I have to say the duo/axis of Londo and G'Kar are the best I've ever seen on screen, they really elevated that show from merely great to totally fantastic. Vir was great in a supporting role too.
I like Picard a lot too; on the whole Kirk/Picard debate, it really comes down to which one would you take orders from? In my mind that's no competition!
7 of 9 gets honourable mention for purely aesthetic reasons.

Kepler20f said:
This is a very tough question, so many more to choose from than the 'worlds' question. On balance I have to say the duo/axis of Londo and G'Kar are the best I've ever seen on screen, they really elevated that show from merely great to totally fantastic. Vir was great in a supporting role too.
I like Picard a lot too; on the whole Kirk/Picard debate, it really comes down to which one would you take orders from? In my mind that's no competition!

Full agreement on Picard as leader over Kirk.

I'll chose the Cat from Accelerando for a favorite sci fi character.

Kepler20f said:
on the whole Kirk/Picard debate, it really comes down to which one would you take orders from? [...]
I suspect there's lots of old pervs who'd love to take "orders" from 7-of-9 (or else be disciplined...) :rolleyes:

strangerep said:
I suspect there's lots of old pervs who'd love to take "orders" from 7-of-9 (or else be disciplined...) :rolleyes:

Yes I can think of a couple of reasons why some people might enjoy that.

My favorite is Raziel(My Avatar)
and Kain,(My profile pic)

John Sheridan from Babylon 5

Bandersnatch said:

strangerep said:

...Sandra Bullock in Gravity recently as an astronaut. Jesus, it was like watching a monkey try to swim. Except it was Bullock. Flailing. In space.

Favorite sci-fi character is Ender.

<h2>1. Who is your favorite SciFi character?</h2><p>This is a difficult question for me to answer as a scientist, as my personal opinions and preferences do not have any bearing on my work. However, if I had to choose, I would say that my favorite SciFi character is <em>[insert character name]</em>.</p><h2>2. Why is [character name] your favorite?</h2><p>Again, my personal opinions do not influence my work as a scientist. However, I am drawn to [character name] because of their intelligence, bravery, and complex moral code.</p><h2>3. What makes a good SciFi character?</h2><p>In my opinion, a good SciFi character is one that is multidimensional and relatable, while also being unique and thought-provoking. They should have a well-developed backstory and motivations, and their actions should drive the plot forward.</p><h2>4. How do you think SciFi characters impact society?</h2><p>SciFi characters can have a significant impact on society by challenging our perceptions and beliefs, pushing the boundaries of what is considered possible, and inspiring us to imagine and create a better future. They can also serve as role models and sources of inspiration for individuals and communities.</p><h2>5. Do you think it's important for scientists to have a favorite SciFi character?</h2><p>No, I do not believe it is necessary for scientists to have a favorite SciFi character. Our work is based on evidence and research, not personal opinions or preferences. However, being familiar with SciFi and its characters can help us to think outside the box and imagine new possibilities. </p>

1. Who is your favorite SciFi character?

This is a difficult question for me to answer as a scientist, as my personal opinions and preferences do not have any bearing on my work. However, if I had to choose, I would say that my favorite SciFi character is [insert character name].

2. Why is [character name] your favorite?

Again, my personal opinions do not influence my work as a scientist. However, I am drawn to [character name] because of their intelligence, bravery, and complex moral code.

3. What makes a good SciFi character?

In my opinion, a good SciFi character is one that is multidimensional and relatable, while also being unique and thought-provoking. They should have a well-developed backstory and motivations, and their actions should drive the plot forward.

4. How do you think SciFi characters impact society?

SciFi characters can have a significant impact on society by challenging our perceptions and beliefs, pushing the boundaries of what is considered possible, and inspiring us to imagine and create a better future. They can also serve as role models and sources of inspiration for individuals and communities.

5. Do you think it's important for scientists to have a favorite SciFi character?

No, I do not believe it is necessary for scientists to have a favorite SciFi character. Our work is based on evidence and research, not personal opinions or preferences. However, being familiar with SciFi and its characters can help us to think outside the box and imagine new possibilities.