Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who's nocturnal?

1. Nov 24, 2005 #1
    I don't mean, do you find it easier to stay awake in the evening (vs. morning). I mean, who here is disgusted by sunlight, and prefers cool, clear nights? How does it work for you? Does anyone here sleep through daylight entirely - where do you work?

(this thread is inaugarated at 2:51 AM local time)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2005 #2
    I do not sleep during the day, but I am more productive during the night (towards homework+studying). Daytime encourages me to "go outside and play" or do some physical activity; nighttime encourages me to actually get some work done.

4. Nov 24, 2005 #3
    You're normal.

5. Nov 24, 2005 #4
    I'm not disgusted by sunlight, but I definately prefer the night. It's always so cool, so peaceful, so comforting. I think I'm half vampire. :smile:

Edit: Currently 1:18 a.m. local time.

6. Nov 24, 2005 #5
    i remember the good ol'days of the insomniacs guild here on PF. it hasn't been the same since franz stopped coming back.

1:23 pacific (+8)

7. Nov 24, 2005 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4:24 AM EST here. Once I get past a critical period, I find it hard to sleep...unless I'm driving ! :biggrin:

8. Nov 24, 2005 #7

Mk

You sound like you would be one of the top drivers on Guam.

9. Nov 24, 2005 #8
    I get to about 1 am and if i have something to keep me awake...like PF or QM, I stay awake!

NS

10. Nov 24, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've done much of my best work around 3AM.

11. Nov 24, 2005 #10

mezarashi

Homework Helper

This thread is being posted at [6:47AM] of the user's local time.

(and no, the user is not an early waker)

12. Nov 24, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're still awake ? It's a beautiful day...go to bed !

13. Nov 24, 2005 #12

mezarashi

Homework Helper

Yeah, you're right. The sun is hurting me eyes. Time to curl up into my coffin. Bye~

14. Nov 24, 2005 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm much happier being nocturnal, every summer holiday for the past 6 or 7 years I've got into a 5am-3pm sort of sleep pattern.

Sadly, employment dictates that I work an 8.24am - 4.30pm day, so this doesn't coincide too well with my ideal plans, so I spend most of my mornings in a caffeine-fuelled daze.

15. Nov 25, 2005 #14
    Hmm...caffeine at night has an interesting effect--->it increases my energy, but reduces my willingness to complete work.

Meaning, I have more energy, but get distracted more often from completing my work :bugeye:

16. Nov 25, 2005 #15
    I really don't like being out in the sun very much. When I am I usually feel tired and lethargic.
    I tend to get to sleep around the time the sun is coming up and wake up around noon.
    I've been known to start projects at two or three in the morning and stay up all night long (sometimes with out going to sleep at all) to read books.
    Most of my jobs have been evening jobs. I worked closing shift at a coffee house for a while. I worked from midnight to ten in the morning at an emergency veterinary hospital. I worked apartment complex security from about eight in teh evening to four in the morning. At my current job I usually get off work at ten thrity at night but once a week, that being tonight, I work from ten in the evening to six thirty in the morning.
    Only once did I have a job where I worked in the morning. I never liked it. I often felt sick and nauseous being up that early. Eventually I walked out on that job.

17. Nov 25, 2005 #16
    4 AM to 12 PM, unless I have to wake up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?