Why are microwave waves bad for you?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential harm of microwaves and compares them to other forms of radiation. It is explained that microwaves are only harmful when contained, such as in a microwave oven, and have a higher intensity than sunlight. The conversation also touches on the exposure to microwaves from everyday devices and the safety of using a microwave oven with proper shielding.
heartyface
Well, my parents always told me to stay out of the microwave when it's running...
I understand that well, of course if I were to go inside my water-based blood will boil and cook me thoroughly...
but why are the waves that harmful for me? I mean, microwave wave lengths are even longer (fixed- thanks for pointing out :) than those of visible light's... so if they were to caution me of getting near the microwave shouldn't they be terribly afraid of me facing the visible light from the sun? Despite the distance between the sun and me... it isn't as if the wavelength is getting shorter as the rays approach me...
Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I mean, microwave wave lengths are even shorter than those of visible light's

Microwave waves are longer than visible light waves, aren't they ?

but why are the waves that harmful for me?

They aren't until they are closed in the oven. If there was a possibility to put your hand into the oven, it would burn from the inside.

What is interesting, mobile phones and wi-fi routers emit microwaves all the time and we are exposed to them. Here is a link to an interesting movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAnrmJ3un1g

oops, that was my mistake in typing. I meant longer wavelengths meaning less energy, not shorter wavelengths.
So are microwave waves just as harmful as any other ol' cellphones and computers are to us? People caution you when you are pregnant not to go near microwaves, etc... but it is not any specifically dangerous compared to our other everyday electric machines?

The issue with a microwave oven is that the intensity of the microwaves is VERY high. My microwave does 1,250 watts when cooking. That is about equal to the total amount of power received from the Sun in a square meter. Pack all that into something like a a pot pie or a hot pocket and you can see how we can cook something very quickly in the microwave. Also, unlike sunlight, microwaves don't reflect off of food or your hand for that matter. And on top of that, the power received from the Sun includes ALL wavelengths, not just the visible. Pretty much all of these are unable to penetrate your skin and will simply heat your skin, which is easily capable of dissipating the heat. After all, you do feel your skin get hot when you go outside in the middle of the day and stand in the Sunlight. But since this is being spread out over a large portion of your skin and clothing much of it just gets absorbed by the air and not into your body. Microwaves would penetrated and cook the inside of your body, which cannot dissipate heat into the air, but into more of the body itself.

heartyface said:
oops, that was my mistake in typing. I meant longer wavelengths meaning less energy, not shorter wavelengths.
So are microwave waves just as harmful as any other ol' cellphones and computers are to us? People caution you when you are pregnant not to go near microwaves, etc... but it is not any specifically dangerous compared to our other everyday electric machines?

With the door closed and properly shielding, like all commercial microwave ovens are, you are perfectly safe.

1. Are microwave waves harmful to humans?

Yes, prolonged exposure to microwave waves can be harmful to humans. Microwave waves are a form of electromagnetic radiation, and high levels of exposure can lead to tissue damage and potential health risks.

2. How do microwave waves affect our bodies?

Microwave waves can penetrate our skin and tissues, causing them to vibrate and generate heat. This can lead to burns, eye damage, and other health issues. Additionally, research has shown that long-term exposure to microwave waves can also have negative effects on our immune system, reproductive system, and brain functions.

3. Can standing near a microwave oven be dangerous?

Standing near a microwave oven while it is in use can expose you to small levels of microwave waves, but they are generally not harmful. However, it is recommended to maintain a safe distance of at least 3 feet to minimize any potential health risks.

4. Do microwave waves affect food and nutrients?

Yes, microwave waves can affect food and nutrients. The high frequency and short wavelength of these waves can cause molecular changes in food, leading to a loss of nutrients and potentially creating harmful substances. It is important to follow proper cooking guidelines and avoid overusing microwaves to minimize these effects.

5. How can I protect myself from microwave waves?

To protect yourself from microwave waves, it is important to limit your exposure to them. This can include using your microwave oven only when necessary, maintaining a safe distance from it, and avoiding standing directly in front of it while it is in use. Additionally, you can also invest in a microwave radiation shield or use alternative cooking methods such as stovetop or oven cooking.